Re: STS-107 NASA COULD HAVE TRIED RESCUE

> NASA could have tried rescue, investigator says
> Mission possible if damage had been seen early
                                      ^^^^
and/or reported

I was under the impression that the errant foam
was seen impacting the wing leading edge during
launch by the gantry cameras ?!?!?  To ME! this
fulfills the "seen" question...

NOW the big question is, did anyone @ NASA *KNOW*
the extent of the damage early on...  Seems there
WAS a request to a 'Spy-Sat' org asking them to
turn their bird(s) skyward and take pics, and that
org even asked that the crew 'roll' the Columbia
so as to provide a better angle for the photo(s)
of the 'target' (the damaged wing-edge).

We (meaning NASA and the U.S. Space community at large)
need to come up with SOME way to repair vehicles in orbit,
perhaps an orbiting 'Space Dock' geared to construction
and repair.  If this means opening it up to private owned
industry and groups - then so be it...

IMHO, and orbiting warehouse would be a good idea as well.
A place to store nothing but construction materiels.

Bottom line ?
Either Asleep at the Switch, or crooked...
Straighten up and fly right, NASA!!!
Get your sh|t straight, or get out of the way!
For lack of a coat of paint - the Columbia-7 were lost!

http://www.enterprizemission.com