Re: Don Pettit

On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 07:41 US/Central, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> On Mon, 5 May 2003, Bruce Bostwick wrote:
>
>>> Bowersox was referring in his statement that they had
>>> pulled  NINE G's,  was that this was caused by a vary
>>> steep re-entry angle.

actually I didn't, that was someone else .. lol

> But remember, that's nine G's on someone who's body has lived in ZERO-G
> for months and can't even tolerate 1 G for a while.  That was, I am
> sure,
> an unbelievable experience (to live through).  I wonder how long it
> lasted?
>
> In flight school I remember blacking out at 8 G's.  I could see my
> peripheral vision tunnel down to where the last thing I saw was the
> G-meter at 8.  But as a student they didnt give us working pressure
> suits
> and the jet jockey flying in the back seat had us on a strafing run
> "attacking"  an 18 wheeler on the local interstate somewhere over
> Texas.

I think the Apollo missions pulled at least 7-8 g's on reentry.  Of
course, the Apollo missions weren't more than a couple of weeks since
that was how long the consumables in the CSM would last, and they were
coming in at almost interplanetary velocity and were using aerobraking
to scrub off all of that, but still ..

I don't recall what sort of reentry the Geminis flew, but I know the
Mercurys were bruisers on reentry.

Most modern spacecraft don't pull nearly that sort of deceleration,
though .. I think 3.5 is the upper limit on a nominal reentry.  You're
right, 9 g's after months in LEO would definitely be an unpleasant
experience, hence the sympathetic groan that was clipped out of the
part of the quoted post I *did* write ..

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve
life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends." -- Gandalf