Re: Columbia's safety margins misread, expert tells panel

On 26 Mar 2003, at 22:46, Bruce Bostwick wrote:

> On Wednesday, Mar 26, 2003, at 20:52 US/Central, Scott Avery WA6LIE
> wrote:
>
> > From what I have seen, it appears clear that the foam most likely with
> > some
> > heavy ice attached to it had an impact that might have been enough to
> > create

As an experienced i put 2"X1" pieces of styrofoam into a water bowl (¼" of water) put the bowl in the
freezer overnight and i try to separate ice from pieces of styrofoam the day after.

Results: due to the porous nature of styrofoam it bound firmly with ice makin it hard to separate. When
ice is broken each pieces of strofoam where still attached to ¼" thick ice  making it not a piece of foam
but a piece of ice. When throwing with enough force even a smal chunk of this composite material on a
light bulb it breaks the bulb.

It is far from a scientific experience but convince me that ice bound firmly to foam, dont know type of foam
on the external thank's but i can imagine at high speed these ice bits can hit structures quite hard.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE (AMSAT 33583)
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator
          http://www.qsl.net/ve2dwe/