RE: A Most Surprising Observation (Amateur Radio, long)

OK...  I guess I'm still recovering from the loss,
so I haven't posted much since then, but this thread
is beginning to get to me :)

It would seem the complaint is that "Don" is not manning
the Amateur voice radios much (if at all), much less the
Packet modes...  This seems like the perfect reason to
dump the AX.25 setup in favor of a NOS system that would
be running at ALL times, and IF there was an Amateur on-
board that wanted to make use of it, that access would
be 'on top of' the 24/7 operations of the layered protos.

In this way, those that want to have the ability to make
contact with ISS can do so at any time it's within range,
and the crew is not necessarily 'expected' to be available
via that path.  Although they COULD still check incoming
traffic for 'buddy-msgs' at ANY time they have a few mins.
And each crewmember could have their own message address.

(eg dpettit@iss.nasa.gov)

I've read about ELF hardware running a version of Linux
that's not much larger than the older Packet TNC's that
can provide all the functions of a full tcp/ip switch,
and even a FULL SERVICE AX.25 BBS.  And with the small
size of magnetic storage media now days, it doesn't seem
it would be a 'big' task to have a minimum of several GB
on the system.  Enough to store/forward MANY messages via
the ISS if the need arose, with very little impact on the
crews' "free time"...

If someone would come up with a small (shielded, to
minimize the effects of radiation) box with the tran-
sceiver incorporated in the ONE piece, and an EtherNet
connection IF external access is desired, it just MIGHT
'fly'...  THEN, there wouldn't be as much of this traffic
about how the hobby is appearantly being ignored.

Note: a "PING" is a lot less time consuming than
      many of the other means we use to confirm
      that we have 'made contact' with space.

Would really be neat to have something like this
on-board for 'Field Day' on the last wknd in June,
but I'm probably dreaming at that point.. <sigh>

Thanks for the 'space' :)

Bruce - KB6LWN/rcc

PS: It wasn't too long ago that we were making a
    BFD about the Amateur Antenna(s) being installed
    on the station, but if it's not going to be made
    use of (except for School comms), that would seem
    to have been rather a waste of encouragement!
    Has anyone used the array on ISS that was said
    to be tunable on 10-meters ???  I haven't heard! :(
    Hopfully if the DO ever decide to use it, it will
    be in the part of the band accessable to those with
    a Novice and Tech grade license (eg 28.100 - 28.495)

PSS: More below.

On Wed, 26 Feb 2003, Reicher, James wrote:

> Bravo!  Well said!  I personally found the article fascinating, and so have
> at least 10 non-hams that I forwarded the link.
>

> Experimentation or "commenting"
> I wonder which is more useful?

How about 'commenting on experimentation' ?!
Let's not let the 'Amateur Radio Technology'
on-board stagnate, like so many other things
in the hobby have.

Ham Radio *IS* exciting IF experimemtation exists!
That's one of the things it's all about, and what
has helped bring about MANY of the technological
advances that NOW allow us to do 'the space thing' :)

We *NEED* a 'switch' in space, and I'd even go so
far as saying we SHOULD have had a transponder or
some other type of "Amateur" presence the moon by
this time.  Let's get WITH the prgm!!  Get a system
tested on ISS and then have it dropped off on the
moon on our way to Mars...

> For those who ask why the packet system has not been
> reactivated since january, just read below. Hamming
> seems not to be their best past time. Making soap
> bubbles seems to be.

Surely SOME of us must be able to brainstorm some ideas for
'Radio Experiments' using HamRadio for Don to play with :)

"Free Time" is a 'good' thing for Amateur Radio..
What say we get an Amateur Radio 'kit' together for Don
to assemble in 0g, and see how it works...  Just a thought!
Maybe he could come up with some 'new observations' on kit
building that we haven't noticed here on Earth!  How does
one "solder" in space ?!  Use the glove box ???  Perhaps
soldering inside a mica bubble ??? <tic>

> "Saturday is when we have a bit of free time," Pettit
> says. Some of the crew read books, play musical
> instruments or watch movies. "I prefer to do 'Saturday
> Morning Science'--fun experiments of my own design.

Pssst...  Hi to Tim in Santa Rosa!  From Middletown.