Re: ARISS Operations

Hello Frank and ISS Fans…

Yes, we are very lucky that Amateur Radio is present on ISS.
As Frank mentioned a lot of $$$'s from NASA and other countries has gone
towards having HAM Radio onboard the ISS. HAM Radio is also a great way to
show how many countries can be involved.

It is true that packet radio is very popular on ISS.
Having packet there helps bring HAMS together and to share common interests.
Look how popular the ISS Fan Club is? The MIR Fan Club was also very
popular, which led to the ISS Club. There are many eager HAMS waiting to
hear signals from ISS. But, Stan Wrote today to this list….

"I worked Don Pettit this morning, Feb 27, at 1009 UTC.  This was
only the 2nd time I've heard him on the air (last time was Jan 5th)
though I am aware that he has been on at least one or two other
times making random contacts.  No, not as active as previous
crews... but that's the way it goes sometimes.  Good luck!

73 de Stan/W4SV"

So, I guess there is some hope on ISS activity.
I am wondering if any HAM during a QSO has mentioned to turn the PMS ON?
Just a valid question, I hope.. HI

I understand there is an instruction sheet for the ARISS station, so I would
hope it would be simple to turn the packet operations ON.
If it isn't that easy, then maybe there needs to be a non-attended packet
station. Something in a sealed self contained box like a satellite where all
can be done from the ground. MIR packet got close to that. Instructions were
to just leave it ON, and all commands and SYSOP stuff would be handled from
the ground.

Just my 2 cents worth…..

73, Scott