ARISS Operations

All,

I saw yesterday's e-mail traffic on the SAREX reflector and I thought I
would clarify some items.

First, it is good to see that this reflector is still active.  For a while
there, I only thought that Dave Larsen, Arthur Rowe and I were the only
members of this reflector (hi hi).

Let's talk about the packet hardware.  I would not characterize the packet
system as being "radiation fried."  It is true that the packet system has
been down for a very long time.  If you all noticed, we did experience a
similar, but not as lengthy packet down-period with another crew
expedition.  That expedition, I believe, did not fully understand the APRS
uses of the packet hardware and the system kept getting shut off.  It is my
belief that this is the same problem we are experiencing with this
crew.  What defends this theory is that we have made several requests to
turn the packet system on through the Mission Control Center (not an easy
thing to do for a secondary activity).  Each time, the packet system was
reactivated and within an orbit, it was gone again.  If you haven't seen
this packet resource, take a look at:  http://www.ariss.net/ and scroll
down to the bottom to see the APRS packet ops.

We are working with the Mission ops folks to get the packet reactivated
again and to make sure it stays on.  Stay tuned.

Those of you that know me pretty good know that I am an Aerospace Engineer
that has also served on several failure investigation boards.  If you want
my technical opinion of  the anomalies we have seen with the packet system,
I really do not think they are radiation or Single Event Effects
related.  A radiation issue would, most likely, cause the packet module to
cease from operating when the susceptible part hits its radiation
threshold.  If the packet system never turns on again, then radiation could
be the issue.  But as you have probably deduced, I think it is an
operations concern.  I do not think that the funnies many have you have
seen with the packet messaging are single event effects (SEE/SEU) related
either.  If that happened, the system would lock up or a bit flip (or many
bit flips) would occur.  These would be random events.  But we see very
consistent events (like the disappearing and reappearing of messages).  My
conjecture is that this is a software bug, not an SEE/SEU.  Now that I have
stated my conjecture, I am sure that many others will provide their own
thoughts and ideas.  But these are my opinions based on my Aerospace
experience and my experience with this set of hardware.

Regarding ARISS ops---as some have stated, some crews get excited about
amateur radio and others don't.  Just like some people like amateur radio
and others don't.  Just like some people like APRS, SSTV, Voice ops, CW,
Contests, Field Day, and others don't.  Personally, I am grateful that the
international space agencies are allowing us on-board.  We have gotten
antenna feedthroughs, space on-board the crowded ISS, up-mass on Shuttles
and Progress launch vehicles to fly our hardware and extremely valuable
crew time.  These items clearly represent millions of dollars of space
agency costs.  The ARISS-developed hardware complement costs pales in
comparison to the space agency costs for allowing us on-board.  Every
minute our equipment is on the air should be considered a blessing.

This past month has been a tough one due to the Columbia tragedy.  From an
ops perspective, ARISS is just getting back on-line with a couple of school
group contacts.  Please bear with us on the packet issue.  We will continue
to work this as hard as possible while making sure we don't overstep our
bounds with the space agencies and become thorns in their sides.

It is good to see that Don Petit is enjoying something that is inspiring to
him while he is on ISS.  Just like amateur radio inspires all of us.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO