COLUMBIA ASTRONAUT REMAINS IDENTIFIED

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC

Glenn Mahone/Bob Jacobs
Headquarters, Washington          Feb. 13, 2003
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

Eileen M. Hawley
Johnson Space Center, Houston
(Phone: 281/483-5111)

RELEASE: 03-070

COLUMBIA ASTRONAUT REMAINS IDENTIFIED

     The remains of all seven members of Space Shuttle
Columbia's crew have been positively identified at Dover Air
Force Base, Del.

"We are comforted by the knowledge we have brought our seven
friends home," said Bob Cabana, Director of Flight Crew
Operations at the Johnson Space Center. "We are deeply
indebted to the communities and volunteers who made this
homecoming possible, and brought peace of mind to the crew's
families, and the entire NASA family," he said.

The seven astronauts, Rick Husband (Colonel, USAF), Willie
McCool (Commander, USN), Michael Anderson (Lieutenant
Colonel, USAF), David Brown (Captain, USN), Kalpana Chawla,
Laurel Clark (Commander, USN), and Ilan Ramon (Colonel,
Israel Air Force), died Saturday, Feb. 1, 2003, when the
Space Shuttle Columbia broke up over the southwest United
States.

Private memorial services for the crewmembers will take place
within the next few weeks. Burial services for Ilan Ramon
took place February 11 in Israel.