ASTRONAUT SPOUSES & CHILDREN RELEASE STATEMENT

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC

Glenn Mahone/Robert Mirelson
Headquarters, Washington             Feb. 08, 2003
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

RELEASE: 03-060

ASTRONAUT SPOUSES & CHILDREN RELEASE STATEMENT

     The Astronaut Spouses Group released the following
statement on Friday, Feb. 7.

"We, the spouses and children of the NASA astronaut corps,
would like to thank the people of the world from the bottom
of our hearts for the incredible outpouring of support and
love that you have shown us in our time of deep grief.

"NASA centers have been overwhelmed with cards, letters,
emails, and phone calls from you expressing your concern and
support.  We have also received hundreds of personal calls,
emails, flowers, food, and cards at our homes. The makeshift
shrine in front of the Johnson Space Center is overflowing
with flowers, signs, and balloons from well wishers from all
over the world.  Memorial services throughout the world have
honored our dear friends. You, our brothers and sisters of
the world community, have been a tremendous source of
comfort and love to us and we are so grateful. We are deeply
mourning our dear friends Rick, Willie, Mike, Kalpana, Ilan,
Laurel, and Dave and we ask that you continue to keep their
parents, wives, husbands, and children in your thoughts and
prayers.

"We would also like the world community to know that as
terrible and as difficult as this journey has been and will
continue to be for all of our families, we cannot stress
enough how blessed and honored we feel to be counted as
members of the NASA family. We proudly support the noble
goals and objectives of NASA and we will continue to support
NASA in its finest and its darkest hours.  It is our deepest
hope that you also will continue to share in our belief and
support of NASA's dreams.  We believe NASA is a beacon of
hope and light to all nations, for NASA has proven beyond
the shadow of a doubt, that peoples from all races, genders,
cultures, religions, and political backgrounds can transcend
those differences and become the closest of friends. And
these friends will continue to pursue space exploration and
scientific discovery for the single purpose of helping and
furthering all of mankind. Thank you for your love and
support.

"The husbands, wives, and children of the NASA Astronaut
Corps."