STATEMENT FROM THE FAMILIES OF SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC

Robert Mirelson
Headquarters, Washington                    Feb. 3, 2003
(Phone: 202/358-1600)

STATEMENT FROM THE FAMILIES OF SPACE SHUTTLE COLUMBIA

     On January 16th, we saw our loved ones launch into a brilliant,
cloud-free
sky. Their hearts were full of enthusiasm, pride in country, faith in
their God,
and a willingness to accept risk in the pursuit of knowledge ---
knowledge that
might improve the quality of life for all mankind. Columbia's 16–day
mission of
scientific discovery was a great success, cut short by mere minutes ----
yet it
will live on forever in our memories. We want to thank the NASA family
and people
from around the world for their incredible outpouring of love and
support.
Although we grieve deeply, as do the families of Apollo 1 and Challenger
before
us, the bold exploration of space must go on. Once the root cause of this
tragedy
is found and corrected, the legacy of Columbia must carry on --- for the
benefit
of our children and yours.