Israeli Leaders Turn Heavenward, Speak To Ilan Ramon In Space on Columbia

:

Subject: Permission granted to Arthur - N1ORC to reprint the following:

Subject: Israeli Leaders Turn Heavenward, Speak To Ilan Ramon In Space on
Columbia

Reprinted from the Israel National News Arutz Sheva
www.IsraelNationalNews.com

Prime Minister Ariel Sharon and Education Minister Limor Livnat spoke
with Israel's first astronaut, Col. Ilan Ramon, on a video hook-up late
this afternoon as he was circling the Earth for approximately the 80th
time since ascending into space five days ago. All three of them
expressed great excitement at the opportunity to communicate in this
manner.

Ramon told the Prime Minister that he has the opportunity to see how
fragile the atmosphere surrounding and protecting the earth really is,
and that it must be protected. Livnat asked about the Jewish artifacts
Ramon brought with him into space, and the astronaut held up one of them:
a miniature Torah scroll from the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp. Prof.
Yosef Yehoyachin, an Israeli scientist who initiated the main experiment
Ramon is carrying out in space, studied for and celebrated his Bar
Mitzvah in the concentration camp using that same scroll. The Chief Rabbi
of Holland at the time, Rabbi Dasberg, who was with Yosef in the
concentration camp, gave him the Torah, only a few inches tall, and
charged him with the mission of surviving and telling the story. Ramon
said, "I brought with me items that express the religious-historic Jewish
tradition," and that the little Torah scroll in particular "shows the
ability of the Jewish people to survive and make it through even the
darkest of times, and to always look forward."

Both Sharon and Livnat invited the other astronauts to visit Israel;
mission commander Rick Husband said that if "all Israelis are as nice as
Ilan and his family are, then I know we can expect a very warm welcome
when the time comes." Students from Jerusalem and Prof. Yuval Ne'eman,
the father of Israel's space program, also spoke with Ramon during the
nationally-televised event. Ramon concluded by inviting every Jew around
the world to come and plant a tree in Israel during the coming year.