ISS PMS MESSAGES-DO NOT SEND/SCHOOL CONTACTS CONTINUE

Submitted by Arthur - N1ORC

Reprinted from the ARRL NEWSLETTER:

1- CHICAGO YOUNGSTERS ENJOY END-OF-YEAR ARISS QSO

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) school and
educational contacts resumed in late December after a hiatus to change
crews. Expedition 6 Crew Commander Ken Bowersox, KD5JBP, spoke December
29
via NA1SS with a dozen youngsters visiting Adler Planetarium and
Astronomy
Museum <http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/index.html> in Chicago. It marked
the 81st ARISS contact and the first contact for Bowersox' crew with
youngsters in the US. Expedition 6 crew members also conducted successful
ARISS contacts on New Year's Eve with participants at the World Scout
Jamboree in Thailand and with students in France.

"I'd say the most important thing that I have learned in space is that
people are very, very strong and flexible, and we can adapt to all types
of different environments," Bowersox told a youngster who had asked the
space veteran to describe the most interesting or important thing he'd
learned in space.

Other youngsters were curious about food and eating in space. Bowersox
said he missed pizza most of all aboard the ISS. His favorite space food,
he said, was bread pudding. "And I can just open a packet and eat
straight
out of the packet with a spoon," he said. Bowersox also explained that
the
human body still digests food very well in zero gravity. He also noted
that the crew was trying to grow some tomatoes and herbs in space. "We're
not sure how they'll turn out," he said, "but we're hoping they'll be
very
tasty."

An audience of some 200 people, including TV and newspaper reporters,
were
on hand to watch the youngsters interview Bowersox via Amateur Radio.
Participating youngsters ranged between five and ten years old.
Organizing
the ARISS event were ARISS mentor Charlie Sufana, AJ9N, and the
planetarium's Geri Smith.

Audio and video (Quicktime) clips of the Adler Planetarium ARISS contact
are available via the Adler Planetarium Web site
<http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/education/events/iss/>.

On December 31, 15 Scouts at the 20th World Scout Jamboree
<http://www.worldscout.pacific.net.th/> in Thailand spoke with Expedition
6 crew member Don Pettit, KD5MDT, via special event station E20AJ. Among
other questions, the Scouts asked Pettit if he wanted his own kids to
grow
up to become astronauts, how the crew members bathe in space, and how the
lack of gravity affects the human body.

Also on December 31, Pettit spoke with students at the Rene Mure school
in
Commelle-Vernay, France. ARISS International Vice Chairman Gaston
Bertels,
ON4WF, said some 60 schoolchildren and their parents assisted in the
contact. The French youngsters wanted to know if Pettit believed in
extraterrestrial life, whether the crew could feel the speed of the ISS
through space, and if microgravity made it difficult for crew members to
find their way in the space station.

2 - Packet users requested to not send PMS messages to ISS crew: Amateur
Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) International Chairman
Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, has requested that amateurs refrain from sending
e-mail to the ISS crew via the onboard RS0ISS Personal Message System
(PMS). "The crew is not answering the e-mail, and we really don't expect
them to." he said. "If things change, we'll let you know." Reports have
indicated that the ISS packet mailbox is filling up with unread messages,
many of them greetings to the crew or holiday greetings. The all-ham
Expedition 6 ISS crew consists of Crew Commander Ken Bowersox, KD5JBP,
cosmonaut Nikolai Budarin, RV3FB, and astronaut Don Pettit, KD5MDT.