Unified Field Theory

     Although Sunspot Louie was predicting a bit more doom and gloom before
the sunspots returned, we were sitting in the autumn sun musing about the
Great Days of DXing that were not far around the corner. We thought of the
days a few years ago when 10- metres was wide open well after dark and we
were confident that it wouldn't be too long before we would be adding to
our 28 MHz total again.

     About this time, one of the Local QRPers came strolling by, looking
somewhat confused. "Why do we have these solar cycles?", he asked, "Why
isn't the flux 200-250 all the time?" We stopped the rocking chair and
looked at the QRPer carefully. "Well," we replied slowly, "we've never
considered why. We've read about the historical data and we can confirm
that they occur at about 11-year intervals, but we never asked why . . .
that's just the way it is. Like the seasons of the year, or the phases of
the moon. It's a natural phenomena." The QRPer wasn't listening to the
philosophical answer. "No, no", he replied, "I mean what's the scientific
reason? Why is it 11-years? Why not 3 or 6? Or, better yet, why doesn't it
stay up all the time. Can't NASA or the scientists at the Jet Propulsion
Lab in Pasedena do something about it?"

     It took us about two seconds to realize we were out of our league, so
we hauled the QRPer up the hill to the Old Timer. "Why do we have 11-year
sunspot cycles?", the QRPer repeated, looking directly at the Old Timer
with his beady little eyes. The Old Timer glanced right back at the QRPer
and spoke without missing a beat, "To separate the DXers from the rest of
the amateur population. To create the two types of amateurs, DXers and
those who want to be." The QRPer stared at the Old Timer with a baffled
look. "But why 11 years?", he asked again. "If you have to ask, you won't
understand the answer.", the Old Timer replied, and that was all that he
would say. The QRPer shrugged, puzzled and not sure what he was missing. So
he wandered down the hill, still pondering this most important Eternal
Enigma and muttering about writing off to NASA to get a "straight answer."

     We turned to the Old Timer and smiled. "You sure can pick them out,
can't you?", we said. The Old Timer was silent for a moment, then replied:
"As Albert so well put it: 'God does not play dice with the universe.' And
even Albert would concede that someone rolled a seven with that particular
QRPer!" Son of a Gun! The Old Timer had discovered the Unified Field
Theory! It was one of the components of DX IS! These sure are exciting
times in the world of DX, and maybe even nuclear physics!

73/DX Paul VE1DX (QSL via VE1YX)

http://www.ve1dx.net/index.html