Re: ISS VOICE 08/29/2002 - a bit of QRM

Call this:  "Bill's Tulsa Experience."

Thirty-two fears ago this September Sharon and I were married.  For our honeymoon we drove from Brooklyn N.Y. to California then back again via a different route, covering as many states as we could.  Anyhow, one afternoon we are about 30 miles West of Tulsa which was a planned overnight stop.  I casually asked my new bride what she wanted for dinner.  She repplied: "Chinese food if possible."

Well, I had my trustu Regency HR-2 FM radio under the dash of the '69 Galixy and -- as I recall -- back then the only two 'repeater pairs" were 146.34/.94 and 146.34/.76  (this was before 600 khz standardization).

I "kerchunked" on one of the two.  Heard a repeater carrier reply.  So, I announced:  "This is WA2HVK mobile West of Tulsa Oklahoma looking for a good Chinese resteraunt."

In almost an instant, a voivce rang forth (whose name and call sign I cannot recall) advisig me that there was indeed one -- and only one such eatery in Tulsa.  The ham then spent the next 40 minutes guiding us into town and over to it."

But the story does not end there.  We went inside, were seated by an elderly gentleman with a very distince "Lower East Side of Manhattan NY" accent.  I casually asked him if he was from NYC.  He replied that he grew up on Veesey Street, that his name was Saul Rosenberg and that he owned the resteraut.

Anyhow, you could have knocked me over with a feather!  As he explained in the 2+ hours we were there, his daughter had married someone from Tulsa and moved there.  Not wanting to be away from his daughter and grand-kids he movd there as well.

I asked him why he opened a Chinese eatery.  His reply that I recall to this day -- a very typical NYC reply:  "Why not?"

Anyhow, fast forward about 25 years to when I was a banquet speaker at the Tulsa Hamfest.  On the Sunday morning that I was leaving to return to Los Angeles, I asked my driver from the radio club if he knew the resteraunt I described above.  He did and we stopped by there around noon.  The name had changed (several times as I learned speaking with the current manager) and nobody remembered Saul Rosenberg.

Anyhow, I took a few photos and we headed to Tulsa airport trying to outrun an approachiong thunderstorm.  I beat it to the terminal by less than a minute.  When I got home I got the film developed at a "One Hour Photo" and surprised 'da bride' with a picture from our past.

The ham radio connection:  If not for ham radio we probably would never found the lone Chinese resteraunt in Tulsa (in that era) much less met a neat gentleman from our hometown who had moved West to open it.

And less I forget:  When Mr. Rosenberg heard that we were on our honeymoon -- dinner was his treat.

A great ham rafio memory....

de
Bill Pasternak, Wa6ITF