"Is it REALLY the antenna?"

Hello All,

I have heard and seen a lot of complaints of how ISS is "deaf"
PCSAT seems to have good ears? Hmmmm.... I have worked PCSAT ever since it
was put into space. My Icom 821H satellite rig has been dead in the water
for the past year, so I have had to use my FT-470 HT with 5 watts ever
since. Yeah, I can't become too much of a satellite aligator with 5 watts
and a J Pole antenna! Go figure..... But I am sucessful!

Has anyone considered some SIMPLE facts: ISS is running 5 watts.
PCSAT is also running 5 watts. Which is MORE popular?
Has anyone thought about packet collisions?
Here is another SIMPLE fact: IF YOU CAN'T HEAR EM, YOU CAN'T WORK EM...
You MUST be able to decode the packets BEFORE you will SEE any results.
With my peanut whistle station of a J Pole and 5 watts, I DO NOT hear
everything and I also can not uplink everything. THIS IS NORMAL!!!!!!!

I used to have a full blown satellite station working MIR, but I also had
about 15KW ERP looking at MIR, and was like shooting fish in a pond.
At that time, I was working with MIREX to UPLOAD messages and paramaters to
the TNC. I needed to "capture" MIR at the time, as an
aligator. However, it was NOT necessary to run soooo MUCH ERP to MIR or ISS
to do UNPROTO communications.

One has to remember Location, location, and how busy ISS might be at your
QTH. I am sure that those in let's say South Africa have no problems working
ISS with 5 watts and a wet noodle.
Why? you might ask.... Lack of ground traffic on the frequency.

Remember.... ISS is VERY POPULAR, and YOU are not the ONLY one trying.
Be patient... it will happen for you!

Good Luck, and best 73....

Scott WA6LIE