RE: ISS Voice QRM problem

Hi Mike and others,

It's nice to know that you made only one QSO giving others a chance to work ISS. That's the "correct" behaviour in my opinion. I also understand the famous 'if you can beat them, to join them". It works in many situations of our life. But I prefer to think that ham radio should be a hobby where friendship and mutual comprehension should stand over, leading us to an higher level of human relationships. I know that this is absolutely an utopia but you don't have to pay thousands of bucks to dream with it.
Let me share something with you. For several weeks I went to an high mountain with my car equipment consisting of a 4 watts VHF Handheld and a mag mount antenna. At that time there was a very big activity from Jean Pierre aboard of MIR. He was active almost every european pass as he was trying to talk with his french friends and family. I spent many hours triyng the contact without success. I used to eat something in a small bar while I was waiting for the pass times. The owner of the bar became interested about the space ham stories I told him. I could share my passion with someone that didn't know it was possible to communicate with the astronauts. One day I was parked near the local radio station and I said to a friend of mine: "Come with me, I am going to listen a french cosmonaut making radio contacts". He laught. That Saturday morning was a magic moment. I was able to make a QSO with MIR with only 4 watts and a mag mount. There were plenty of buildings around me and my window was short. It's really impossible to describe what I felt that time. This was one of the most exciting moments of my ham existence.

It's this kind of sensations were are talking about.......

Paulo, CT1ETE