ARISS Update 7/9/02

All,

A number of you have sent me e-mail requesting information on what is
happening on ISS.  I thought I would follow-up on these individual e-mails
with an e-mail to all those interested in ISS operations.

It is great to see an active Russian ham on-board ISS!  Some are call him
"the man"---but one thing is sure....Valery, RZ3FK, has been very active on
the ISS ham radio system.  Both on voice as well as packet.

We haven't gotten his field day logs yet (we have requested them from him),
but Valery's QSO's during field day appear to be comparable to the 202
individual contacts that Susan Helms made last year.  Valery was on the air
during just about all the passes we provided to the ISS crew prior to field
day.

One exciting thing that Valery did was to hook a computer up to the ISS Ham
packet radio system.  As you are aware, the packet system was down for
several weeks near the end of the Increment 4 crew's tour of duty.  On two
separate occasions, the ARISS team worked with the ISS Increment 4 crew to
reactivate the packet system.  After these two attempts, it became
abundantly clear that the issues with the packet module could not be
cleared without some insight into the packet system by hooking it up to a
computer.  As you have witnessed, shortly after Valery arrived on ISS, he
attached a computer and quickly got the packet module up and running
again.  His quick actions on this were a testament to three
things:  1)  His previous ham radio experience on MIR  2) His outstanding
ham radio training with the ARISS equipment in Russia and 3)  The
international coordination of the ARISS team members.

The computer that is currently being used for the packet system is the IBM
Thinkpad A22P that Mark Shuttleworth left on-board the ISS after his
flight.  We are working to try to keep this unit on the ISS Ham Radio system.

I have received several complaints about my recent statement regarding the
BBS/Packet Mailbox.  Let me clarify what I was trying to say.  There are
two primary ways to use the packet system---unproto operations and using
the Packet Mailbox System (PMS).  Given that only one person can use the
Packet Mailbox System at a time, I tried to remind everyone that unproto
mode allows more to participate in the use of the packet system than the
Mailbox System.  I realize that many of you would like to get an e-mail
from Valery.  We understand that.  But as I said before, when you have
thousands trying to connect up to the Mailbox and only one can connect and
send their message, this can sometimes lead to frustrations by others on
the ground.  The most important thing to remember....if you use the PMS,
keep your messages short and pre-developed.  Other things to consider:  Be
surprised when the ISS crew responds to your message because they are quite
busy up there.  Please don't resend the same message to the crew if they
haven't responded to your first message.  Also, please don't put the crew
in a bad position by asking them to set up a schedule with you.  This would
be unfair to all the hams and school children around the world.  We want
all to participate, not just a select few.  Stick with unproto ops whenever
possible to maximize the packet throughput and send short PMS messages only
on occasion.

We still have two antennas that need to be installed on the ISS.  An EVA
(Space Walk) is currently planned for mid-August.  We are working with
Sergej Samburov, RV3DR, on the EVA procedures to install these last two
antennas on the mid-August EVA.  We will keep you informed on the status of
this in the near future.  Once these antennas are installed and some tests
planned for September are completed in Russia, additional ISS Ham radio
equipment will be installed in the Service Module.  We will continue to
keep the equipment in the FGB operational.  This will provide multi-band
operations.

Several individuals have asked about receiving a QSL card.  A valuable
resource to all those interested in Amateur Radio on the ISS is the ARISS
web page.  This web page is located at:

http://ariss.gsfc.nasa.gov/

Specific information on receiving a QSL card is located at:

http://www.rac.ca/ariss.htm#QSL's

The international ARISS team is committed to making sure we are fair and
acommodating to all---the hams on the ground, the ISS crew, the national
radio organizations, those organizations interested in supporting ham radio
on ISS, and the school children.  The international Space Agencies have
allowed ham radio on ISS for a reason....it provides a great psychological
boost for the crew and it is an outstanding educational outreach tool.  We
are guests on ISS.  Our operation on ISS is a privilege just like our ham
radio license is a privilege.  The ARISS team will continue to balance the
needs of all for the long-term betterment of amateur radio in space.

Thanks for all the ideas and inputs.  And thanks for all your interest in
Amateur Radio on the International Space Station.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
Chairman, ARISS-International