Re: Re: SAREX-digest V2002 #151

On 1 Jul 2002 at 6:08, Frank H. Bauer wrote:

> So, is the BBS open for business?  It has always been there but the ARISS
> and APRS teams have discouraged their use.

This is kind of like saying, "Starbucks is open for business, but the
coffee is too hot and dangerous for you, so you are discouraged
from drinking it.  (But you are permitted to stand by and watch other
people enjoy it.)"

I have carried on unproto QSO's many times on regular packet
frequencies where there were numerous other stations accessing a
BBS system (back when packet was a popular mode).  The ISS
PMS can only take one-at-a-time, and that ONE person is not
killing the comms for everyone else.  Higher bandwidth?  Sure.  But
its not stopping others from using unproto.... go watch a pass
sometime, there is plenty of activity.  It is only serving to get others
labelled as "lids" because they would like to leave a message for
the crew, and with a little luck even get a reply from the crew.  I
thought that was, in fact, what the PMS was to be used for!

Valery might enjoy exchanging packet mail with hams (after all, he
did take the time to load up some packet software and hook up a
computer to the TNC!), but your "request" is stopping many of us
from trying it.  C'mon Frank (and Team)... please reverse your
decision on this!

73 de Stan/W4SV