Field Day and ISS

All,

It is great to see two things:  1)  The amateur radio station on ISS active
again and 2) This reflector bustling with activity.

Several of you have debated the designator used by ISS for field day.  If
you remember last year, Susan Helms used 1A ISS for her field day
operations.  I know that everyone has their own idea on what it should be
(1A, 1B, 1C, 1D and 1E).  But we all know that ISS is truly a unique
station.  The ARRL settled in on 1A as the best compromise.  It may not be
perfect, but ISS is unique.

A few things that help support this:

1)  Both the NA1SS and RS0ISS are club callsigns.  I am the trustee for the
NA1SS call and Sergej Samburov, RV3DR, is the trustee for RS0ISS.

2)  ISS is independent of commercial mains.  It also qualifies for solar
power bonus points.

I realize that many of you can to poke holes in any of these designators,
but the important thing to note is that we got prior approval from the ARRL
to use this designator for ISS before last year's and this year's field day.

Also, we used ISS as their location because that is where the crew
is.  They aren't in Russia, they aren't in the US, they are on-board ISS.

As confirmation that backs up what we did, if you looked at the scores from
last year's field day in QST, you could see Susan Helms scores prominently
in the 1A section.

I think the most important thing is that the ISS crew derived a great deal
of fun from field day and those of you on the ground that communicated with
them did too!  It should be noted that the ISS crew was on the air pretty
much all the passes that we sent out to you.  Pretty impressive.

I am not sure if I will get the field day logs from Valery and Peggy.  If I
do, I will submit their scores for them like I did for Susan last year.  If
not, then they just enjoyed the fun!

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
ARISS Chairman