Re: ISS Field Day Classification and a few questions...

> What region is space?  Should the ARRL have a section for space?!  If
> there are people (Americans) living in space (now and in the future),
> shouldn't they be able to participate in Field Day.  When people
> finally live in space, I'm sure they will have hobbies like amateur
> radio.  In reality, this is a true statement today!  We have Amateur
> radio hobbyists living in space!

If only one member of the ISS crew is an American, would he/she be the
SM by default?  Would he/she be able to submit a write-up for the Field
Organization Forum for QST every month?  That would be a fun one to
read .. LOL ..

I think the idea of having a "space" section is a bit ahead of its time,
but given our current population pressure and what may be an inevitable
drive to colonize off of Earth, there may be a time when it's
necessary.  I think the ARRL and IARU will have to roll with that as it
happens -- as soon as there are hams operating from LEO on a regular
basis, and possibly farther out as well, we may well see this.  Legally,
space is considered "international" territory, at least for now, so I
don't know if the ARRL will have jurisdiction, but certainly the IARU
will need to think about it ..

"Go ahead and do it, you can apologize later." -- RADM Grace Hopper,
1906-1992
"The sunset is an illusion, but the beauty is real." -- Richard Bach