ISS Field Day Classification and a few questions...

Class A stations (club or non club with 3 licensed amateurs) set up
specifically for Field Day.

         ISS has 3 licensed Amateurs.  Not set up specifically for Field
Day.  (Paul has this one right.)

Class B states 2 or less licensed Amateurs.

Class C states MOBILE and normally run that way including aeronautical mobile.

Class D is not an option.

Class E states "Home Station, Emergency Power"

         While I would consider the ISS a home.  I would say the power
supply is other than emergency, but rather NORMAL POWER.  IMHO.

I would say class C is most appropriate.  The rules have also changed a bit
it looks like.  In the past they read "number of transmitters BELOW 30
MHz"  This would make the space station "0C" (zero charlie) since its not
transmitting below 30MHz.  But this year it appears a little different.  So
I would say 1C.  But what about the section?  Rule 5 says they would send
"DX"  So "1C DX" would be my argument.

BUT, as Paul pointed out, rule number 1 says IARU Region 2 only to submit
entries.  What if the ISS didn't submit an entry?  Rule 1 also says DX
stations residing in other regions may be contacted for credit.  If you
contacted someone in Germany, wouldn't your log entry be "1D DX"?  If so,
then why not "1C DX" for the ISS?

What region is space?  Should the ARRL have a section for space?!  If there
are people (Americans) living in space (now and in the future), shouldn't
they be able to participate in Field Day.  When people finally live in
space, I'm sure they will have hobbies like amateur radio.  In reality,
this is a true statement today!  We have Amateur radio hobbyists living in
space!

IARU Region 4 (less than 250 or less than 500 miles from the earth).
IARU Region 5 (greater than 250 or 500 miles, etc...)

ARRL Section for space = SPA

"Submitted for your approval..."  Rod Serling

Dino...k6rix@arrl.net