Re: ISS Amateur Radio Status: June 25, 2002

>> In this case the
>> International Space Station Alpha was running on pure solar power and
>> they
>> had 1 transmitter in the amateur radio bands running, for a category
>> called
>> "1A".
>
> 'Technically', ISS should probably have been Class 1B - Battery, rather
> than 1A, but
> it's a bit late to get it correct, now.

Hmm .. if the original source of the energy was the solar panels, which
on ISS is almost certain to be the case, I would think that would count
as a 1A even if the energy was stored in the station's batteries for a
while.  I may very well be wrong on that, but I certainly would be
comfortable with calling ISS a 1A station ..

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."