Re: ISS voice over USA

Hello Paul.

I understand your point but I would add this.

The folks on the space station are not really "hams" in the sense that in a
certian mode of operation they value the number of contacts above a "good
rag chew".  ( as an aside I bet most of them dont even know the term).

I've talked to some of them before they went up (I live in Clear Lake City
Tx) and after they came down.  Most of them who use the radio a lot view it
as sort of an escape mode from being in three tin cans and if they find a
conversation that they "like" they usually stay in it.

I've had full pass QSO's where I knew that others were calling them (and so
did they) but they were interested in what was going on "here"...the little
things that they dont get from the NASA folks.

The most humrous one I have had is one guy who was aloft lives in my
subdivision and he got a notice from the community association that his
house had a problem.  I am the trustee for this subdivision and so we had a
sort of funny chat about that.

I dont know what happened in your specific episode but Susan Helms was an
exception.  She ran contacts like she was a vetern DXer...

Most of them dont like that sort of QSL.

Robert

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX