Re: ISS voice over USA

At 09:58 AM 23/06/2002 -0300, Brent Taylor wrote:
>We tried valiantly from our field day site to work Valery, but his time
>was, in my opinion, monopolized for practically the entire 1850 pass.  The
>contacts were not "short" and he was "worked too much" to the extent that
>he repeatedly worked one station over the throng of others that were
>undoubtedly trying to get the contact and the credit.
>
>We were operating battery and emergency generated power, I am guessing that
>the station working him on that pass was "one-delta" with no intention of
>submitting a Field Day score report.
>
>I did not copy the entire call of the station he was working.  My fellow
>operators were disappointed and a little incredulous that, during Field Day
>itself, the hottest catch of the day was being drawn into a ragchew.
>
>The EXACT same thing happened to Susan Helms during Field Day 2001 - an
>entire pass consumed with a Field Day exchange lesson - even though any
>valid 2-way QSO with Susan could have been used for credit by any ground
>station whether she knew if she was 1B, 1D or whatever.
>
>That ragchew probably took 10 or more stations out of an opportunity for a
>QSO.
>
>Thanks again.
>
>Brent, VE1JH

     Well, Brent, that's the way it is supposed to be, and that is the way
it was years ago.  There was this thing called the Amateur's Code:

http://www.qsl.net/ve1dx/amateurs_code.html

     Most of us learned this from watching others operate, and through
incentive styled licensing, where you had very restrictive privileges that
were incrementally increased as you gained experience.  Then came the
instant gratification generation, combined with governments easing up on
the requirements to get a Ham ticket.  Banks of questions from previous
Amateur exams showed up for sale, the CW requirement was lowered and is
almost gone now, and people can go from nothing to a full bore license in a
week. (One day in the US.)

     Combine this with high powered, sophisticated stations and the "win at
any cost" mentality of DXers and contesters driven by the ARRL and CQ
Magazine's awards programs, and it isn't all robins and roses and "after
you, pal."  I wish it was, but it isn't.  The guys you mentioned didn't
care about Field Day.  They didn't care about you.  All they care about is
a contact with something they want so they can get a postcard to prove
it.  Then they send it in to some organization to get a point on an awards
program.  Like the DXCC or VUCC awards.  The ISS QSL card is a great
bragging symbol, and is worth far more than the feeling "I stood by and let
the Field Day guys make a contact."  These fellows never read or understood
the Amateurs Code, and they never will.

     Someday when the novelty of working the ISS has worn off, I might call
them.  But for now, it isn't possible for me . . . just as it wasn't
possible for your Field Day operation to get through.

     Don't take this the wrong way.  I'm not condoning what goes on.  I'm
putting it in perspective.  If you want to blame anyone, look to the ARRL,
RAC, the RSGB and any other organisation that petitioned their licensing
authorities in their respective countries to lower the standards for
becoming an Amateur.  They did this to bolster sagging membership due to
the advent of the Internet.

73, Paul VE1DX