Re: STS-111 LANDING ABORTED AGAIN (question)

> SLC  was built.  Shuttle could have come and gone from Vandy from it
> into more or less polar orbits.  Orbits like the one the shuttle is in
> today would be impossible from Vandy...at least under present launch
> constraints...think klaunching over the US.

Interesting.  Didn't know it was actually built .. all I knew was that
it was planned, and then I never heard of an STS launch from
Vandenberg.  Wish I lived close enough to see it.

> Sadly (or good) SLC 6 was never used (at least for the shuttle).  The
> pad had some inherent design flaws (like allowing H build up), the
> shuttles of that era (wht the SRB's and ET of that era) would have
> carried a crew and toothbrushes and little else, and the cost to orbit
> as you point out were/are tremendous.

I've been around small quantities of H2 and had them ignite on me by
accident.  The quantities they'd handle at the SLC would not be small.
(shudder..)

It takes a lot more delta-V to get to LEO from there.  They have to
launch south instead of east, which loses a *lot* of surface velocity
from the earth's rotation.  I bet it was expensive.

> They tried several fixes to make the shuttle carry something.  The
> first was to lighten up the SRB's...I recall one static firing where
> you could visibily see the cases bulge.  And with the current AiLi ET
> it probably could lift something from Vandy...but nothing like an EELV
> will eventually.

The SRB casings *bulged*?!  Yeah, and I bet that was before the
Challenger explosion too ..

> If a shuttle lands at Edwards it cost a reasonable amount of money over
> a JSC landing.  I dont exactly remember the amount but while trivial by
> NASA standards it isnt chicken feed and with the agency spending money
> at the rate it is every million helps.

Who was it that said "Hey, a million here, a million there, and pretty
soon you're talking about some real money"?  Seems apropos ..

"Oh yeah? Well, I speak LOOOOOOOUD, and I carry a BEEEEEEEger stick --
and I use it too!"  **whop!**   -- Yosemite Sam