Re: STS-111 LANDING ABORTED AGAIN (question)

Bruce.

SLC  was built.  Shuttle could have come and gone from Vandy from it into
more or less polar orbits.  Orbits like the one the shuttle is in today
would be impossible from Vandy...at least under present launch
constraints...think klaunching over the US.

Sadly (or good) SLC 6 was never used (at least for the shuttle).  The pad
had some inherent design flaws (like allowing H build up), the shuttles of
that era (wht the SRB's and ET of that era) would have carried a crew and
toothbrushes and little else, and the cost to orbit as you point out
were/are tremendous.

They tried several fixes to make the shuttle carry something.  The first was
to lighten up the SRB's...I recall one static firing where you could
visibily see the cases bulge.  And with the current AiLi ET it probably
could lift something from Vandy...but nothing like an EELV will eventually.

If a shuttle lands at Edwards it cost a reasonable amount of money over a
JSC landing.  I dont exactly remember the amount but while trivial by NASA
standards it isnt chicken feed and with the agency spending money at the
rate it is every million helps.

Robert

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX