Programming a Kenwood TM-231 for ISS Voice Splits

Hi all...

I was in Kentucky last week trying to help a friend of mine program his
Kenwood TM-231 for the ISS Voice Split.

Although I followed the operators manual directions exactly and then resorted
to some "variations", all I succeeded in doing was getting the Channel 17-20
bank to end up on 145.800 SIMPLEX. The Manual has some "choppy" language in
it so I was wondering if anyone has been successful in doing this and could
pass along some hints.

Perhaps it won't take a split over 1 MHz but it doesn't say that in the
manual? I'm puzzled and my friend's physical limitations prevent him from
trying to program the odd split himself. So here I am.

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Roger
WA1KAT