Packet Operations

All,

There have been several reports and questions about packet.  Yes, the radio
was left on a 143.625.  That is why you hear the packet downlink on this
frequency.   It is puzzling to us as to why this is the case, but we had
some reports of Roberto Vitorri using a 143.625 downlink for voice ops and
this is where one of the crew members left the system.

Amateur radio operators---do NOT communicate with the radio system while it
is on 143.625.  It is outside the ham bands.

 From an ISS perspective,  the frequency is a Government channel....so it
is perfectly legal for use on ISS.  The primary intent of this frequency
was to communicate with Mir (no longer valid) and if there was an issue
with the radio system on-board ISS.

Given that we are doing a school on Thursday, we have sent instructions to
the crew to QSY after the contact.  With all that is happening on ISS in
preparation for the new Expedition crew (2 weeks away) it was felt that
this was the least burdensome and least intrusive way to fix the issue.

I hope this explains what is happening.

73,
Frank Bauer, KA3HDO