From: owner-SAREX@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-SAREX@AMSAT.Org]On Behalf Of
BillWA6ITF@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2002 20:54
To: web@global.co.za; sarex@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [sarex] Re: Mark Shuttlesworth call sign?

Ray,

I fully agree.  The positive public exposure for ham radio -- at a time it
is
most needed -- really outweighs any negative in the mind of the ham
community.  As I often say in the dinner talks / speeches I give around the
USA:  "Get with the program.  Its the 21st century and this ain't your
granddaddy's ham radio anymore."

However, here in the USA I do not think Mark Shuttlewotrth will garner the
public interest that Dennis Tito did last year.  What the US press is
gearing
up for is for when 'teen rock idol' Lance Bass (who one-fifth the teen mega
million record/cd selling pop group N'SYNC) flies in November.  All that is
needed is to get Bass on the air once -- talking to one kid on the ground --
and get it publicized -- and that action could have the affect of turning
10's of thousands if not 100's of thousands on to ham radio as being "the in
thing" and crowding the ham bands with "young voices" in a very short time
after his flight.  If you have ever seen the lines outside of an N'SYNC or
Brittney Spears concert -- or the reaction of 100,000 squealing fans inside
-- you know what I mean.

Bei ng in the TV news business in Hollywood I see it all the time.  Whatever
the 'teen idol du jour' says -- every teen says.  If he or she has a
peculiar
twang in the voice, every kid will emulate that twang for the next year or
two.

Whatever way that teen idol does his/her hair -- the teens of the world do
their hair.

Whatever the "teen idol" is seen wearing -- very teen wants to wear -- and
will go and buy.

And I am willing to predict that should Bass get on the air from ISS and use
ham radio to talk to a teen or two -- that the world will see an interest in
ham radio by youngsters that the world has never seen before.  That's the
phenomenal power in the "teen music scene" these days.

Its a multi-billion dollar a year business that has the teens of the world
following like the fabled "Pied Piper of Hamlin."  And if we hams can get
past our own 'holier than thou" attitude to the rest of the world outside
the
hobby, we can exploit the Bass trip to the ISS to bring thousands of vibrant
new young hams into the hobby.  And that is something I personally would
like
to see happen.

I agree with you.  Ham radio has everything to gain and nothing to loose
from
these 'tourists' to space coming onto the ham bands.  The more exposure we
get, the more we insure our own future.

Thank you for taking such a positive view.

de
Bill Pasternak, WA6ITF

In a message dated 4/26/02 9:46:28 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
web@global.co.za
writes:

<<
 However, it's only a temporary callsign (valid for three months), there is
 HUGE amount of interest, both nationally and internationally, in Mark's
 trip.  I think a lot of good can come from him using amateur radio
 (especially possibly getting kids interested) and who knows, he might get
 hooked and one day become a real amateur.

 73
 Ray (ZS6RSW) >>