PC SAT IN TROUBLE

* PCsat reported in trouble: Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, reports that PCsat
could
be lost if ground controllers are not able to get the spacecraft into a
positive power budget. He has asked all users to not digipeat via PCsat
until further notice. Bruninga said PCsat is resetting--and running the
batteries dead--on every eclipse. "This is killing it, unless we are
successful soon," he said. Command stations in the Southern
Hemisphere--where PCsat currently just encounters the sun and the only
place
where a "low power" command would have any chance of recovering the
spacecraft--are working to resolve the problem. "There is nothing we in
the
Northern Hemisphere can do other than turn our transmitters off, so as
not
to add to the power load," he said. Built by midshipmen from the US Naval
Academy under Bruninga's guidance and launched last September, PCsat is a
1200-baud APRS digipeater designed for use by hand-held transceivers or
mobiles. Bruninga said command stations are on top of the situation, and
he
discouraged outside reports.