ISS Packet Radio System Sys Ops

All,

To end all the speculation on this topic, we developed this system upfront
to have remote capabilities.  And yes, if needed, we could disable the PMS
functions remotely.  We also have sysops in place.

The team has not elected to do much at this point because we want the
amateur community to have as much use of the system as possible.  We don't
want to interfere with the community's use of packet during a pass or two.

Personally, I do not think posting keps on ISS is a good use of the little
time the ISS is overhead a particular area.  But, like any amateur radio
activity (and internet activity for that matter), we do not want to get too
heavy handed in policing activities....unless someone breaks the rules and
regulations of amateur radio.

I have said it before and I will say it again, the ARISS team would prefer
that the amateur radio community not use the mailbox capability on ISS at
this time.  Let's allow as many people to use the system as possible and
unproto/digi is the way to go right now.  Also, messages to the crew will
just be deleted at a later date.  This crew in particular will be going
home in a couple a months and we don't expect the computer to be hooked up
by then.

Enjoy the packet radio system!

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO