Re: PMS usage suggestions?

Hello Bob and all....

Nice idea, but how do you get everyone to understand or conform?
It is a hard task.
It seems I have been here before on MIR with it's PMS.
We have a lot on HAMS that never got to experience MIR operations.
So, here is what I sent around back when MIR was up.
ISS/RS0ISS packet operations are basically the same as what MIR was.
There are differences in the TNC used, and some of the commands, but the
basic principle are the same.

Attached below is a user's guide I typed a long time ago, and was widely
used on MIR, and helped in educating the users.
Miles, WF1F also has something more updated on ISS operations.

Please read, and try to understand, This is NOT an operations manual for
ISS. Other than that... Basically the same animal....

73, Scott
CU on ISS....

                             HOW TO WORK R0MIR-1

The MIR Space Station is currently orbiting the earth about every
95 minutes while traveling at roughly 17,000 MPH. Due to the fact
that MIR is a moving object, and radio frequencies being involved
here, Doppler corrections may be needed. On the 2 meter band, the
Doppler is a maximum of 3.5 khz on a pass directly overhead (90 degrees).
On a pass say 10 degrees above the horizon, the Doppler is small
about 1 khz. This can be a very important factor in working the packet
Personal Mail System. This is because packets may become distorted.
Here are some items to look at in your station for successful attempts.

1. LOCATION

If you are in a bad location where it might be difficult to get
a signal out, you might be limited to the number of passes that
you can work. You might want to look into a simple 1/4 wave 2 meter
groundplane. This antenna has a good lobe looking up. (pre-amp suggested)
If you are in the clear to your horizons, you have it made.
However, Doppler and antenna type will be your disadvantage.
For the average HAM station running say a 50 watt radio, and a J pole
antenna has a great advantage on MIR passes that are up to about
20 degrees above the horizon! Doppler isn't a real consideration
and your antenna pattern is ideal for something up to 20 degrees
above the horizon, or a bit more! Most radios will work, and no
frequency corrections are needed. Doppler up on UHF is around 10 KHZ
and Doppler compensation is needed! A MUST for SAFEX or any UHF
satellite operations.
Note: SAFEX not operational at this writing.

2. TRACKING

You will need some satellite tracking software to know when and where
MIR will be in your area. There is a lot of tracking software available
on the internet. I use STSPLUS, and have for over 15 years. Keplerian
information on MIR and other satellites is updated twice weekly, and can
be found on your local BBS or on at Amsat.org

3. FREQUENCY

The frequency For ISS is 145.800rx PLUS 145.99tx (YOU) World Wide. (1200
baud packet)

4. PACKET WISE

If you are not familiar with packet connections or mailboxes, do some
experimentation on the ground first before trying to operate MIR.
The TNC on MIR is a Kantronics KPC-9612+ V 8.1 and is operating at
1200 baud ONLY. Here is the HELP that you would get on R0MIR-1 when
using the Help (H) command.

Note: ISS uses a Pacomm TNC, and the command list is a bit different!

B(ye)         PBBS WILL DISCONNECT
E(dit) n [BPTYNFH] [>tocall] [<fromcall] [@BBS] "old" "new"
J(heard)      CALLSIGNS WITH DAYSTAMP
J S(hort)     HEARD CALLSIGNS ONLY
J L(ong)      CALLSIGNS WITH DAYSTAMP AND VIAS
L [x [y]] [;] LIST MESSAGES x THRU y YOU CAN READ
L <|> call    LIST MESSAGES FROM OR TO CALL
LB            LIST BULLETINS
LC [cat]      LIST CATEGORIES
LL n          LIST LAST n MESSAGES
LM(ine)       LIST UNREAD MESSAGES ADDRESSED TO YOU
LO [+|-]      LISTING ORDER
LT            LIST TRAFFIC
LTn           DISPLAY LOCATION TEXT n=1-4
K(ill) n      DELETE MESSAGE NUMBER n
KM(ine)       DELETE ALL READ MESSAGES ADDRESSED TO YOU
R(ead) n      DISPLAY MESSAGE NUMBER n
RH n          DISPLAY MESSAGE n WITH HEADERS
RM(ine)       READ ALL MESSAGES ADDRESSED TO YOU
S(end) call   SEND MESSAGE TO callsign
S[B|P|T] call SEND BULLETIN, PRIVATE, or TRAFFIC

Please don't use the Help command on MIR. This is STANDARD to MOST
TNC's and doing so just limits the use of MIR by other stations.
There can only be ONE user connected to R0MIR-1 at a time.

5. BE PREPARED

If you wish to send a message to the crew, have a file of message READY
to go! What I usually do is make a message to R0MIR BEFORE I even send it.
On my KPC-9612, I get in my mailbox, and SP R0MIR@MIR Then enter the
subject and then the message. When MIR is in range, and the mailbox is
not being used, I forward the message. My TNC talks to MIR's TNC and
goes through the forwarding process. This is ALOT quicker! I send 3.7K
of info in one minute! This includes the connect to disconnect time.
Consult YOUR TNC users manual for forwarding mail to a station.

Don't try to send a message to your buddy down the street to MIR's
PERSONAL Mailbox. It will NOT allow 3rd party messages. If you try,
you will get a response - MESSAGES MUST BE ADDRESSED TO THIS STATION.

6. BE COURTEOUS

Please don't try connecting to R0MIR-1 when someone else is already
connected. You will get a R0MIR-1 **BUSY. When you get this, don't
keep trying while others are connected. This just messes up the other
station, and it is interference and will just take that much LONGER
for the user to finish before he/she disconnects. Would you like
others interfering with your connects to MIR? Look for the D frame
from R0MIR-1 to the connected station. Using MCOM ON will allow you
to see all these packets. Here is what MY KPC-9612 would show.