I REMEMBER WHEN

Awesome viewing again

Myrton T. Smith II (mts@usa1.com)
Fri, 07 Jun 1996 07:18:32 +0000

Well, another nice viewing of the passing of the Mir space station as it
swept across the evening sky near Boston, Massachusetts.

Using the ever popular and so reliable satellite tracking program from
David Ransom Jr., STSPlus v96.15, I had just completed another session of
the Heavy Hitters Amsat Satellite Net on the 146.640 Waltham,
Massachusetts amateur radio repeater and stepped out to have ice coffee
with another ARO, Andy (N1OSG) when Dick (KA1TUZ) arrived from a meeting.

Three of us standing in front of my humble abode and waiting for the
approach of Mir at 02:01utc, bearing 226.8. Sure enough at about
02:07utc right out of the high thin overcast and glowing a little yellow
white in the southwest sky.

Three of us tuned to 145.550 Mcs and I was calling an hoping to hear the
voice of Dr. Shannon Lucid. At the same time and from about 25 mi north
of my location I could hear Lil (N1UZN) from Lawrence, Massachusetts
calling for R0MIR.

We listened and called and, well we at least managed to watch as this
beautiful sight passed over and off into the shadow of theEarth into the
northeastern sky....

I will keep tracking and listening and calling until I manage to have at
least one contact with Shannon. I have heard her direct and have listened
to some nice recordings from Arthur (N1ORC) of Shannon talking with Her
family via the 145.550 frequency.

What a sight! If you haven't done it, do it. If you have done it, then do
it again, and take someone along!

Cheerio for now and may clear viewing be with you always.

          No matter where you go, there you are.... ..