Marex news aug 9, 2001

ISS Amateur Radio Status: August 9, 2001

STS 105 Launch
New Amateur Radio hardware schedules
ISS Visible
ISS QSL
ISS Chat Room, Active

By Miles Mann WF1F,
MAREX-NA News
Manned Amateur Radio Experiment, North American Division

Hi all:
It has been a few weeks since my last MAREX News, I have been taking
advantage of the summer and enjoying vacation.  Now its back to space
stuff.

STS-105 is scheduled to launch today, see the NASA web for details.
This mission will deliver a new crew to ISS. The Expedition Three crew
of the space station  will consist of astronaut commander Frank
Culbertson, Cosmonaut Vladimir Dezhurov, Cosmonaut Mikhail Tyurin (his
first space mission).  When I asked Moscow about this crews experience
with Amateur radio activities, I was told that Mikhail is a very
experienced amateur radio operator and we should expect to hear from him
during this mission. The existing ISS crew will be returning home to
Earth, includes: cosmonaut Yury Usachev and astronauts Jim Voss and
Susan Helms.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/

New ISS Amateur Radio project schedules:
There are 4 internal amateur radio projects planed for ISS over the next
12 months, they included a replacement TNC, new external antennas,
Kenwood D700 upgrade and Slow Scan TV (SSTV).

The TNC project is currently scheduled for the STS-105 mission in
August.
http://www.rac.ca/arisnews.htm#New TNC

The new External antenna project is a little more complex.  Parts will
be delivered to ISS via the Shuttle and a Progress cargo rocket.  The
current plan calls for ISS Crew #4 to do a space walk in Q1 2002 to
install the new antennas.  The parts for the antennas should begin to
arrive on ISS in Q4 2001.  The new antenna system will consist of 3
VHF/UHF antennas which will support bands 2-meters, 70-cm (a.k.a. the
440 band) and 1.2 gig thorough 2.5 gig.

The Kenwood D700 upgrade project is still in the proposal stage.  There
is a great deal of Space-Flight Certification paper work that needs to
be completed.  The tentative plan is to fly a Kenwood D700 in Q4 2001 to
be used in place of one of the existing amateur radio transceivers on
ISS.  However the funding issues may cause this project to slip into the
year 2002.

Slow Scan TV:
This is the MAREX SSTV project.  The SpaceCam1 software has been
extensively tested by the MAREX team.  We are now waiting for feed back
from the ARISS testing which will begin in August with the current
release.  The project was demonstrated at the 2001 ARISS Holland meeting
and new features were requested to be added to the SpaceCam1 project.
The current version of software is on it way to Houston for testing with
the ISS computers.

ISS Visible:
The ISS will be visible this week over the USA in the evening hours.  It
will come back into view next week in the early morning hours.
If you do not have a tracking program, please check the NASA web pages
for tracking and Visibility data.  There have been several good reports
of very bright reflections from ISS.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/index.html

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/SightingData/sighting_index.html

The current orbit cycle of ISS will begin to favor the eastern and
central portion of the USA for random voice contacts with ISS in the
evening hours.  The ISS crew is on UTC times, so expect the crew to be
awake from 07:00 - 22:00 UTC time.  And sleeping from 22:00 - 07:00 UTC
(approximately except during docking missions).  Make sure you know the
difference between your local time and the UTC time.

The ISS crew can only use the Amateur Radio station, during their
OFF-Times, when all other important work has been completed.  Voice
contacts are purely Random.  However your best times to find the crews
are during the evening hours on ISS (ISS crews are in UTC time.  Best
times between 1500 - 2200 UTC).

Good luck all, suggest you get your tape recorders ready and start
listening to the ISS channels.  Please observer the proper calling
procedures.

1. Wait for ISS Crew to call CQ or QRZ.
2. Send only your call sign and wait for crew to acknowledge.
3. Listen closely for the call of the station she is talking to.
4. If you do not hear your call sign, do not transmit again until you
hear the ISS crew member say CQ or QRZ

Please be courteous.

ISS QSL:
The ARISS Europe team has posted a QSL address for ISS.
Please follow the links from the www.marex-na.org web page.

ISS Chat Room, Active:
The ISS chat room has been active 90% of the time for the past 2 months,
enjoy.
I have posted several tips on how to configure your TNC on the MAREX web
page.

73 Miles WF1F MAREX-NA

New MAREX Web pages:
Check out our future ISS Projects and a large list if Mir related links
and tips on how to use the Chat room on ISS.

www.marex-na.org

Copyright 2001 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet,
and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for profit including, but
not
limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without
prior
written consent from the author.

Until we meet again

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F