RE: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing.. -- A

> Van: Chuck Hemker [mailto:n2por@AMSAT.Org]
>

> Another option would be to extend the APRS IGate protocol to
> include received
> timestamp and location.  Quickly looking at the APRS spec, I
> didn't see a way to
> keep from confusing existing clients (having them ignore that
> added info, and
> even ignore packets submitted after a delay)

A timestamp and reception location can be added in the digi path of the
header, the existing clients should cope with that info.
It would need three fields, one to indicate that the new info is there, one
for the timestamp and one for the location (eg.
pe1rdw>apiss,nocall*,satgate,14130208,jo21nr:=005....)
Everything before the colon is the header everything after the colon is the
info.

> A couple of questions did come to mind though:
>
> 1. Do the IGates put all packets on the net, or only the ones
> that look like
> APRS?

>From what I have seen in the software I used, filtering is not and does not
have to be a function of the Igate as aprs clients need to be resistend to
non aprs packets, afterall aprs software is also used on normal packet
frequenties. the only thing optionaly filterd out are packets comming from
himself tough that is not realy needed.

> 2. How do you tell which ones are through the ISS?  Relay
> through N0CALL?

I think that is the only way to see if it came true ISS, the same function
can be used for other systems (PACSAT for ao16 etc.)

73 de Andre PE1RDW
aprsdigi co-ordinator Netherlands
member aprs workgroup Netherlands
mailto:pe1rdw@aprsnl.org