Re: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Alex wrote:

> I do some APRS-QRP experiments and some antenna experiments every once
> in a while. Oftentimes I don't hear my own packets digipeated and they
> also don't get relayed to ariss.net every time....

This shows why we need more dedicated permanent IGates feeding into the
system.  RIght now, I only know of 2 or 3 in the usa.  We need them in all
corners of the USA too.  Just 2 or 3 feeds across the whole country will
not guarantee 100% capture.  Steve's system can easily tolerate multiple
feeds and it throws away all dupes, so it does not hurt to have multiple
feeds.  It improves the reliabiilty tremendously!

If say each IGate has a 70% chance of hearing a packet (due to the sum of
all the things that keep one from decoding a packet).  Then here is the
reliability of the APRS packet feed:

  1 Igate    70%
  2 Igates   91%
  3 Igates   97%
  4 igates   99%
  5 Igates   99.8% etc

THus I wont be happy until we have at least 10 Igates in the USA stretched
from Florida to Maine and San-Diego to ALaska..

And all it takes is a whip antenna, and a 2m FM packet rig and PC...

de WB4APR, BOb