Re: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing?

Concerning the stations posting ISS downlink to the Mailing list:

Those postings are probably from areas of the world that might not have
live Internet access.  The whole concept of the ISS (and future PCsat)
downlink is to have unattended FM receivers injecting EVERY packet heard
anywhere on the planet into the worldwide APRS internet linked system so
that every ISS packet ANYWHERE could be seen by anyone EVERYWHERE.

Every APRS packet in the world goes LIVE everywhere.  Just telnet to
199.227.86.221 to see it.  Every packet there also is captured into a
bazillion-gigabyte data base (FINDU.COM) that drives WEB pages and makes
these packets available anytime, anywhere to anyone. See
http://www.ariss.net to see the live downlink when it is over Europe and
the USA.  Anyone with a 2m FM packet receiver and WIndows and Internet
access can feed the live data.  We need MORE sites in more distant
footprints.

If we had live feeds from areas like NZ, S.Africa, Japan, Alaska, Israel,
Antarctica, Argentina, Hawaii, Taiwan and/or any other distant footprints,
then we could make this global ISS digipeating service available
worldwide.

If the packets were fed LIVE to the "system" then there would be no need
for postings.  (And then anyone with a shirt-pocket packet station
(Kenwood HT) could send Email and Packet reports from anywhere on the
planet from his pocket.. while sailing round thw world, or dog sleding
across the antarctic or travels in the outback, or anwyhere (bottom of the
grand canyon)...

See ASTARS web page below for background...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

ISS-APRS FAQ:       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
PCsat Design        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/pcsat.html
CUBESAT Designs     http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/cubesat.html