Re: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing.. -- A solution?

On 7/30/01 3:40 PM Delbert Matlock (delbert@matlock.com) wrote:

>> findu.com is not set up to do this sort of propagation study. The system
>> works hard to eliminate duplicate packets, (600,000 a day is enough,
>> without removing dups it would be triple that), but for the sort of thing
>> you are envisioning you would need to save the dups, as well as
>> identifying the original station.
>
>You wouldn't need to store the duplicates.  Just have a linked table with
>receiver records.  These records could even be optional so that
>traditional APRS digipeating wouldn't add to the clutter.  All the ref
>table would need is the time, a link to the original packet, a receiver
>callsign, and a position indication (as of reception time).  Sorry to
>digress into technical blather on this board.  Just trying to point out
>that it wouldn't have to be an exceptional extra load.

Even storing the dups for the ariss stuff would be a minimal load. I
mention the dups and the load because it is not an option with the
general aprs database, which is what ariss.net uses. There are a number
of other methods that could be used to store the data, that isn't the
issue, it is one of utility vs. effort. The ariss stuff is piggybacked on
top of the aprs database, and represents a very minor part of its
function. I already have enough to keep me busy for years, so I'm not
going to be doing this.

>> I agree that the gee-whiz factor is important in drawing in new hams, but
>> I think ariss.net does a pretty good job of that now. Still, if someone
>> wanted to write and maintain the more capable system, I'd be glad to help
>> get the existing IGates converted over to the new software, and to
>> interface it to findu.com so that the pages at ariss.net could continue
>> to receive their data.
>
>You can never have enough gee-wiz capability. :)
>
>Playing with XEarth and Predict over the weekend left me with too many
>ideas of gee-wiz concepts to make tracking ISS contacts more visual and
>fun.  Unfortunately, more often than not, the glue parts and the CPU
>horsepower are outstripped by my imagination.

Well, the horsepower and glue is pretty impressive these days, have you
given it a shot? findu was pretty easy to put together, and a $4k Dell
server runs at less than 5% load despite a million hits a month and 600k
incoming packets a day. A system dedicated to just the ariss stuff would
run on any old 486, with a better machine you could do some pretty
amazing stuff.

>Perhaps, before worrying too much about getting new clients, some thought
>about an enhanced IGate submission protocol would be a good first step.
>If the protocol is ready and published the maintainers of existing packet
>terminal programs might take an interest in adding "ARISS mode" to their
>applications.

This just isn't something I'm going to do, it would be of no benefit to
the APRS stuff that comprises 95% of my users. If someone else wants to
do it I'd be glad to offer opinions, and to work out an interface between
the two systems.

Steve K4HG