From: Delbert Matlock <delbert@matlock.com>
To: <sarex@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2001 7:50 AM
Subject: [sarex] Why do so many people send ISS packet listing.. -- A
solution?

> I've had mixed emotions about the packet reports.  On one hand, they do
add to e-mail clutter.  On the other hand, there was one time that Arthur
Rowe's report was the only way I knew I had made it through.  On the
gripping hand, maybe we should start considering a better approach.

> An idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while about using a web
based reporting system to catalog these reports.  A simple system would just
take the raw data and catalog it with a simple text search.  A more complex
method would be to use some text parsing to pull out sending station
identification and times.  Combine that with some coordinate information for
the receiving host and you have the start of a profiling system.

> Down the road, it is possible to imagine automated receiving stations that
pump data directly into the database.  All a user would need to do is go to
the site and enter a call sign and location.  Up would come a list of
receiving stations and their distance information.

> ISS is going to be with us for a long time.  Investing some effort in
software development might not be a bad support project.