Re: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing.. -- A solution?

On Mon, 30 July 2001, Steve Dimse wrote:

> On 7/30/01 8:50 AM Delbert Matlock (delbert@matlock.com) wrote:
>
> >Down the road, it is possible to imagine automated receiving stations that
> >pump data directly into the database.  All a user would need to do is go
> >to the site and enter a call sign and location.  Up would come a list of
> >receiving stations and their distance information.
> >
> At present there are at least 5 full time stations sending their live ISS
> data to the APRS Internet System, and from there into the findu.com
> database. Many others occasionally send their data to the system. While
> this system isn't set up to do exactly the query you are asking for, it
> comes pretty close, look at:
>
> http://www.ariss.net

Doesn't look like there is anything operating down in the AU/NZ area right now.  In fact, the whole southern hemisphere looks pretty dead.

Perhaps a lighter weight client would be helpful.  Something that acts like a normal packet terminal, but also gates information out for ARISS.net in the background.

> With APRS, the focus is on the information itself, not the path, so the
> APRSIS does not track the receiving station. Still, the important part of
> this contact is the user getting heard by ARISS, and as long as the
> echoed packet is heard by at least one Internet Gateway, it will appear
> on the page. Knowning how many ground stations heard the echo and where
> they were located is not all that useful.

Sorry, but I'd dispute the usefullness of ground station location.  After making a couple of contacts through ISS, my interest moved towards seeing how low on the horizon I could make contact and how far away I could hear stations from.  For a while I was even sending reports directly to people I heard on ISS to let them know how far away they were heard.

Since ISS is probably the easiest, and highest power, bird to hit, it's going to draw more beginners (like myself).  Letting those people know just how far away they were heard could get them interested in pursuing the harder to contact sats.

It was rewarding to see how excited a father and son got when I showed them they could hear Susan Helms talking (during field day) using their car 2-m rig.

-- KG4NMC