RE: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing.. -- A solution?

> Van: Delbert Matlock [mailto:delbert@matlock.com]
>

> I've had mixed emotions about the packet reports.  On one
> hand, they do add to e-mail clutter.  On the other hand,
> there was one time that Arthur Rowe's report was the only way
> I knew I had made it through.  On the gripping hand, maybe we
> should start considering a better approach.
>
> An idea has been bouncing around in my head for a while about
> using a web based reporting system to catalog these reports.
> A simple system would just take the raw data and catalog it
> with a simple text search.  A more complex method would be to
> use some text parsing to pull out sending station
> identification and times.  Combine that with some coordinate
> information for the receiving host and you have the start of
> a profiling system.
>
> Down the road, it is possible to imagine automated receiving
> stations that pump data directly into the database.  All a
> user would need to do is go to the site and enter a call sign
> and location.  Up would come a list of receiving stations and
> their distance information.
>
> ISS is going to be with us for a long time.  Investing some
> effort in software development might not be a bad support project.
>
> -- Delbert/KG4NMC (http://delbert.matlock.com/kg4nmc.htm)

We already have a database like that.
I think its on www.ariss.net but I'll have to check to be sure and can't
right now.
the only problem is that you have to run a aprs server to feed the data to
it and it can only be done live.
Maybe Steve can come up with a way to feed log files but than we have to
problem of timing the packets as there is no standard in timestamping the
packets.

so if more people run an aprs server on 145.800 we might even have life
feedback on what is being recieved around the world just like we have for
aprs.
In short your idea is workable but needs stations with permanent inet feed
all over the world.

the aprs version is on http://www.findu.com en the feed can be monitored on
telnet first.aprs.net, I think some iss data is already beeing feed in this
server to be filterd out to ariss.net

73 de Andre PE1RDW
aprsdigi co-ordinator Netherlands
member aprs workgroup Netherlands