Re: Why do so many people send ISS packet listing?

Hi Ray,
    I for one, if others feel the same way will stop listing the packets
digipeated by ISS. I am located in Sydney, NSW, Australia about 8 km south
of the main stadium where the 2000 Olympic Games were held and the ISS
"footprint" around my location covers Australia, P&G, New Zealand and a
number of South Pacific Island Nations.

    Arthur Rowe has been providing this "feed back" service in North
America, Berto ON1CAU has been providing a similar service in Europe and I
have been doing the same in the Australian reigon.

    This is a service for packet operators which enables them to see how
sucessful there transmissions are even if they fail to receive there own
packet being digipeated from ISS. It is probably best thought of as a
unofficial equivelent of a QSL card. It also confirms their ability to
communicate with ISS should they get the opportunity for a voice contact,
which as you probably realise are quite rare. It is probably also a good
indication for NASA of how much Amateur Radio interest there is in the ISS
and various times of day (and week).

    There are also APRS (automatic position reporting system) experiments
being conducted based on digipeated packets from ISS. These experiments make
use of text strings such as those generated by GPS units.

    Various operators have experssed there gratitude to me for providing the
feedback.

    I would like to hear from others on the list if they like this volintary
service or not. If the majority prefer not to see it. Maybe those who are
interested could form another list. If the majority of people want the
feedback, then we could adopt a standard format in the subject line such as
"ISS Packet" and then you could set you email software to automatically
delete anything with this in the subject line.

    "NOCALL" is the default callsign of a TNC which has not been set up yet.
This is the case for the TNC aboard the ISS.

    The information is provided because of the percieved interest in it
only.  I apoligise for any irritation it has caused you.

regards,
Murray Peterson
VK2KGM