Susan Helms Field Day Activities

All,

As all of you know, Susan Helms did a spectacular job as the first field
day contestant from space.  We were so impressed with Susan's abilities on
the air, that we wanted to give her a little recognition for her
efforts.  Prior to the STS-104 flight, the ARISS Team worked with STS-104
astronaut Jim Reilly to fly one of the ARRL 2001 Field Day pins with the
intention of presenting this to her.  Jim brought the pin up in his
personal effects and was planning on presenting it to Susan.  Until now, we
were not sure if this presentation was made.  While looking through the
Expedition 2 photos, I discovered a real cool photo taken on July 16 with
Susan at the station.  You can see this photo at:

http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-2/ndxpage15.html

When reviewing the photo, I noticed a couple of things:

1)  She is proudly wearing the ARRL Field Day pin
2)  It looks like the crew has moved the station into a new location in the FGB
3)  The Hi-res photo is so good that you can clearly make out the markings
on the equipment

When we gave the STS-104 crew the pin, we asked them to read the following
to Susan and they presented it to her.  I thought you all would enjoy this.

73,

Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
Chairman, ARISS-International

Field Day 2001 Presentation to Susan Helms

"On behalf of the ISS Ham Team we present you with this ARRL (American
Radio Relay League) Field Day 2001 pin. Thank you very much for
participating in Field Day from the solar powered space station amateur
radio station in the FGB.  Your pioneering efforts as a field day contester
set a high standard for future crews who will  participate in this annual
June event.  The ISS Ham station is a vital emergency communication link,
just like the  hundreds of thousands of amateur radio stations on
Earth.  Through field day, you have demonstrated these capabilities to hams
around the world.

  73 from all the hams on Earth."