ISS Amateur Radio Status: June 27, 2001

ISS Voice Field Day
ISS Visible
ISS QSL
ISS Chat Room, Active

By Miles Mann WF1F,

Hi all:

ISS Voice Field Day:
The Big story last week, was that Susan Helms
http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/helms.html
was active using the Amateur Radio station from the International Space
Station all weekend.  I counted 4 orbits on Saturday and at least 3
orbits on Sunday.  I have posted Saturdays the voice recording to the
Marex web.
Last weekend there was an Amateur Radio emergency preparedness test
(contest).  During this Field day, Amateur radio stations around the USA
set up temporary radio stations around the country and then make radio
contacts and exchange information, signal report and location.  ARISS
Chairman Frank Bauer, KA3HDO had sent a request to see if Susan had some
free time to talk to Amateur Radio stations that weekend.  Susan
surprised everyone by being active for many orbits all weekend.  I heard
Susan talking to many children and scouting troops over the weekend.  I
even dragged the neighborhood children into my radio room for them to
take to Susan on Saturday during the 21:15 pass.  We do not know exactly
how many people she contacted via Amateur Radio, however a good guess
would be between 200 -500 people, in many countries, including USA
Canada, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Belgium, England, Poland and
many more.

The current orbit cycle of ISS will begin to favor the central portion
of the USA for random voice contacts with ISS in the evening hours.  The
ISS crew is on UTC times, so expect the crew to be awake from 07:00 -
22:00 UTC time.  And sleeping from 22:00 - 07:00 UTC (approximately).
Make sure you know the difference between your local time and the UTC
time.

The ISS crew can only use the Amateur Radio station, during their
OFF-Times, when all other important work has been completed.  Voice
contacts are purely Random.  However your best times to find the crews
are during the evening hours on ISS (ISS crews are in UTC time.  Best
times between 1500 - 2200 UTC).

Good luck all, suggest you get your tape recorders ready and start
listening to the ISS channels.  Please observer the proper calling
procedures.

1. Wait for ISS Crew to call CQ or QRZ.
2. Send only your call sign and wait for crew to acknowledge.
3. Listen closely for the call of the station she is talking to.
4. If you do not hear your call sign, do not transmit again until you
hear the ISS crew member say CQ or QRZ

Please be courteous.

ISS Visible:
The ISS will not be visible this week over the USA.  It will come back
into view next week in the early morning hours.  There is also a shuttle
launched planed for July 12, and it will be possible to see the Shuttle
Boost phase from Florida to Maine.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/

Then the next day, the shuttle will be visible as it chases the ISS for
a docking a few days later.
If you do not have a tracking program, please check the NASA web pages
for tracking and Visibility data.  There have been several good reports
of very bright reflections from ISS.
http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/index.html

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/SSapplications/Post/SightingData/sighting_index.html

ISS QSL:
The ARISS Europe team has posted a QSL address for ISS.
Please follow the links from the www.marex-na.org web page.

ISS Chat Room, Active:
The ISS chat room has been active all week on 2-meters.
I have posted several tips on how to configure your TNC on the MAREX web
page.

Field Day and ISS observations:
There are approximately 2 million Amateur Radio operators world wide.
During the ISS operations this last weekend the majority of the stations
calling ISS followed the recommended contact procedures (When to call,
what frequency, etc).   I only heard a few reports of stations using the
wrong frequency and calling out of sequence.  We all need to take part
in spreading the world on the suggested operating procedures for ISS.
By educating the world, we will increase the reliability of the ISS
links and at the same time have more fun.
So spread the world.

73 Miles WF1F MAREX-NA

New MAREX Web pages:
Check out our future ISS Projects and a large list if Mir related links
and tips on how to use the Chat room on ISS.

www.marex-na.org

Copyright 2001 Miles Mann, All Rights Reserved.  This document may be
freely
distributed via the following means - Email (including listservers),
Usenet,
and World-Wide-Web.  It may not be reproduced for profit including, but
not
limited to, CD ROMs, books, and/or other commercial outlets without
prior
written consent from the author.

Until we meet again

DOSVIDANIYA Miles WF1F