Re: ISS TEST... who was successful?

On Wed, 23 May 2001, Stan Vandiver wrote:

> The biggest success story of the ISS test was W3ADO.  I copied 26
> transmissions from W3ADO... clearly above the rest of the crowd.
> I copied an *average* of  about 1 transmission per minute...

Yes, since we were conducting the test, we had W3ADO posting a once a
minute ISS object position report.  This gives the ISS its own posit in
the downlink so that the ISS appears on all APRS stations, and all
Kenwoods (D7 and D700) as a moving object.  This then lets the radio
compute AZIMUTH, and DISTANCE to the ISS on the front panel display for
each user.   We also had a two line  BULLETIN about the test so that those
people not on the SAREX reflector would understand what everyone was
trying to do during the test...

In retrospect, we should not have been posting the ISS positions, since
this was an unattended test, and so there was noone there to see them.
Good point for lessons learned...

> ... shall we conduct an experiment to LISTEN TO THE UPLINK?  This has
> been an  interesting experiment in throughput, but I don't think it
> speaks to the  question of congestion on the uplink frequency.  I'm
> willing....

Great idea!  I would suggest an UPLINK monitoring test on 21 July when
scouts all across the country will be climbing mountains with HAM gear to
participate in the "operation ON TARGET".  Scouts climb high places to
send flashing mirror comms that day.  From that height, it will be good to
listen on the ISS Uplink during passes... and see what you hear.

Otherwise, it would take about 10,000 or more monitoring stations to hear
what ISS hears... I'd hate to accumulate that data...
But actually, having another receiver always monitoring the uplink is a
good idea in general.  I do, and I always hear a few other stations
trying.

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob