RE: HT uplink test via ISS? Keyboarders uplink test too.

> Van: Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL [mailto:vlfiscus@mcn.net]
>
> Also, as a test, us straight keyboarders need to increase our
> power out in
> order to determine how much ERP is required to overcome ISS
> APRS congestion
> and interference from beacons. Recommend starting out with
> one hundred
> watts into an eggbeater or beam, then digipeat a packet telling those
> actually monitoring what you believe the best ERP to be to
> digipeat through
> unattended APRS beacon interference.
>
> This is only a test.
>
> KB7ADL
>
> At 12:37 PM 5/22/01 -0400, Bob Bruninga <bruninga@usna.edu> wrote:
> > > I would like to propose an ISS experiment, where we
> dedicate the overnight
> > > time of 22 May in the USA as an HT uplink test via the
> ISS digipeater?
> > > The collective objective is to test the viability of HT
> QRP packet uplinks
> > > under controlled conditions:
> > >
> > > Test period:    Midnight local time 22 May to 8 AM on 23 May)
> > > Test stations:  HT's (or equivalent) on omni antennas, 5W power
> > > Test rate:      One packet every 1 minute

Hi Vince,

you plan to that test on the same time or on another time?
I would suggest on another time when there is normal aprs activety (higer
power per interval) as that would give a better referance for both tests.

don't get me wrong I do recomend that you do that test I just don't think on
the same time would be a good idea.

I do wonder why you think fikedrate beacons (aprs or otherwise) are the
couse of the dificulties.

Let me give my hyposis on this: say we have 20 fixedrate stations at 1
minute interval and 2 life stations.
that would mean 1 automated station every 3 secconds.
a life station usualy transmits every 3 sec. until his packet gets tru
(based on my own experiance on mir).
so in theory those 2 live stations use the same 'bandwith' as the 20
automated stations.

ofcourse this is just theory as the ratio between automated stations and
life stations is not 10 to 1 and many automated stations also run life (the
do in europe anyway) on the other hand right now the rate is of transmition
is higher for automated stations becouse of the low sucses rate (once every
20 or 30 sec).

73 de Andre PE1RDW
aprsdigi co-ordinator Netherlands
member aprs workgroup Netherlands