WB4APR's new mindset [was something else]

WARNING: This post is VERY LONG. I am sorry.  This issue has been
bothering me and I felt compelled to get it off my chest.  I understand
"netiquette" to be short and to the point, but I am not too good at that. If
you've got some time, sit down with a cup of coffee and read this. Or read it
later. Or just delete it.

PLEASE do not quote this entire text in any replies/rebuttals.  Clip only
what you need to comment about.  I am embarrassed enough by its length.
Thanks!    -- Stan/W4SV --

Posted to:  Re: [sarex] ISS PACKET 5/8/01 - 1418UTC PASS
Bob Bruninga, WB4APR, wrote:
> We need to get people to back off.  Try one packet a minute or so.  If
> everyone did this, then more people would have success, though still it
> may take many passes.

Before I present my disagreement, let me say that I highly admire Bob for
his invention and continued development of APRS.  I was part of a group
registration of APRS back around 1993 or so, and it has proven to be huge
success in amateur packet radio. I am picking on Bob's ideas here, but not
Bob personally, nor his software. He has done very much for ham radio and
I appreciate that.

Now... let me say that I preach a different gospel around here. I'm afraid I
must brag a bit, but I am a one of the biggest proponents of SAREX/ARISS
activities in my local area, or at least I try to be. A good friend of mine and I
built the turnstile antennas described in QST in order to hear the first
SAREX mission with W5LFL. It took me 10 years after hearing W5LFL to
make contact with KC5ACR on Columbia in 1993. I have been fairly
successful since '93... having worked packet and voice with many shuttles,
with the Mir, and recently with the ISS.  My friend has been equally
successful, and he is scheduled to be the control op for a school contact,
although the details are still pending. (Hint, hint, somebody!?!?)

Well, anyway... the point I'm making is that I *ENCOURAGE* people to get
out there and try to make a contact. I post pass times for my area on my
radio club website. I have the same enthusiasm for these space contacts
as the school kids out there... and that joy has never dimmed for me for
nearly 20 years now.  This is "my obsession" within our hobby... and I try to
share that obsession with others.

Yes, I encourage people to get out there and contribute to what I call the
"noise floor" of the ISS receiver.  I don't like to think of it as QRM,
intentional or not.  There are probably millions of 50 watt radios out there
with endless varieties of commercial and homebrew antennas. I believe this
represents the typical static level for the ISS crew.

So I tell people to use the best antenna they have... and transmit with the
most power they have available.  I tell them that the ISS is rare and exotic
like a DX station. It is a difficult target, but it can be done. More than power
is involved in making a 2-way contact.  I like to think that operating skill can
play a part in being successful.  But in my mind, without a doubt, the
biggest factor is LUCK.  You can change the odds somewhat by building a
better radio station, you can help your chances with good skills, but LUCK
still must play a role.

Bob and some others I believe have been complaining about the uplink
congestion. Bob has said in another post that he would like to see "shirt
pocket HT demos" between schools using the Kenwood/APRS systems.
Now Bob suggests one packet per minute, hit or miss.

I'm sorry... I can't see that. I can't see getting the word spread out well
enough. I can't see that there would truly be cooperation. And for that
matter, I can't see the congestion. Bob asked us to listen to the uplink. I did
just that yesterday on packet and today on voice.  You know what I heard?
Nuthin'... either pass. And actually I am saddened by that. I live about 60
miles or so from Chicago. Its probably about the same distance to South
Bend, IN from me. I switched polarity from horizontal to vertical. I had my
horizontal beam aimed at Chicago.  Granted, these were mid-day passes
and most people were at work.  But nothing at all? There are a lot of hams
around here!

And on the www.ariss.net map there is a gaping hole in the central US
where apparently no one is trying.  I cannot believe that they are trying but
just not getting through. Too many people are indeed reporting contacts
with low power and minimal antenna systems, including mobiles... yet I
have only seen a handful of Chicago-area callsigns posted to the map. Bob
guesses between 1,000-10,000 are uplinking on every pass, but I'm
beginning to feel that even the low number is a high estimate.

At my station, I run about 100 watts (105-110W to be more precise) to a 10
element horizontal beam (12 dBi). No elevation control. This is almost the
exact same setup that I began using in 1993 when I first started making 2-
way contacts, except I used 80 watts then.  There were a lot of 50 watt
radios back then too, but not as many as now. Getting just above that 50
watt level apparently does work wonders.

Gee, some would say (and have said) that's a lot of ERP.  But my station
fits the description of a "typical" station that is successful with SAREX or
ARISS communications.  That's all I've ever thought about it... typical, or
even "modest."  And I have been quite proud of the contacts I have made
with this setup. There are many superior satellite-ready and EME stations
out there in radio-land.  And we are, after all, allowed to run 1.5 kW of real
power, not to mention ERP easily reaching the megawatt category. Why do
we use or feel the need to use these amplifiers that we've spent our hard
earned money on?  Because our object is communication. If possible,
RELIABLE communication. We spend time and money so that, with a little
luck, our signal will be heard... and we won't be there for days or weeks.
Using the "minimum amount" of power needed is a point that is usually
worked down to by people with amplifiers. With a rare, difficult contact, you
give it your best shot first. Of course, others go QRP just for the special
thrill that it brings.

Many of you are aware that I have been on the packet digipeater a lot, and
especially this past week.  I've been on vacation this week and have been
able to catch almost every pass. Guilty as charged.  But I've been having a
heckuva good time. I've said hello to old friends and I have made some new
ones. I have been a "first contact" for several other stations now, and that is
also a great thrill for me. I've shared my tape recordings with a couple of
folks out there who weren't able to capture their voice contact. I send a
>GR##xx/- position report so the APRS users can see me out there.  Thats
what they want, right?  To see folks on their map?  (Plus I think its cool to
see my callsign on ariss.net too!) I think there is plenty of room for
everybody to play together here.  But we have to accept the fact that there
is a "noise level" out there, and some of us have different interersts besides
APRS.

I hope that I am not offending anyone out there by the term "noise level."  I
truly do not intend to. Sometimes my 100 watts is also part of that noise
level. But you hams out there have proven what I preach to my local gang...
you CAN get through and make a contact.  To make that contact under
less-than-desirable conditions (low power, mobile, etc) seems also to make
that contact exceptionally sweet to those of you who have reported.  And I
love reading those reports... people jumping into the fray and having a great
time out there!  But the real basics of getting a contact are persistence,
perserverance, and luck.  Lots of each.  You've got to be by the radio to
hear them... you've got to transmit for them to hear you. And sometimes
you have to keep trying. Please do keep trying... YOUR luck will come
through too!

I'm finishing up here, honest.

If "shirt pocket" communciations become the order of the day, where at-will
communications can be had... then to me, somehow the amateur space
program will be diminished.  It would be as easy as the Internet.  The thrill
for me is still there, after all these years, because the success is tempered
by the failures.  I've been skunked on SAREX missions before too.  I could
not make it through to the very last shuttle mission carrying amateur radio,
which was a great disappointment for me. An even greater disappointment
was not even hearing the Expedition 1 crew (except school contacts)... after
listening for them for untold hours. Randy, KG3N, the only known 2-way
with Expedition 1, showed great skill in getting that contact... being there
for that engineering pass, and clobbering them with a super signal. Still... it
was only LUCK that prompted "Shep" to answer his call... he could have
quietly turned off the radio since his comm check was complete.

I have a few "personal goals" that I would like to achieve with the ISS.  My
first is already lost... to work all crews.  Only a couple of individuals (ARRL
says 2 have applied for 2-way QSL with Expedition 1) now have a chance at
that honor. I'd like to work ISS on all modes that they eventually activate up
there. I would like to work all crew members on any (or all) of the Expedition
crews... and also guest operators, such as Dennis Tito and Jeff Ashby
recently (and I got skunked there too on both of them... I didn't even get to
hear Tito).  Perhaps Bruce, the new AMSAT Awards Manager, could create
some real "wall paper" along the lines of what I'm saying here.  I'm sure I
am not the only one who would like to earn a certificate for some special
operating achievement with the space station. Set some guidelines!

For those who may think that I must be some kind of frequency hog
(excepting the current bandwidth of this message, please!)... I will again
plead guilty on packet (but you won't usually see any more packets from
me than what you see transmitted from Bob's club station, the Naval
Academy, W3ADO). I expect to be backing off more and more.  Summer is
here, I have chores to do, etc.  I have a job and a life other than this also.
But I do want to keep out there from time to time too... posting my positon
to the APRS map, saying hi to folks and listening for new operators on the
ISS.

Finally, (FINALLY!!!!) let me fill you in on what I'm *NOT* doing... I am not
making multiple voice contacts, but I have noticed that there are many who
are. Susan is starting to learn some people's names now. As I said earlier, I
myself have a childlike enthusiasm for space contacts... and it sometimes
seems SO HARD not to call for Susan, who I worked on April 20th.  She
seems to be having a great time with the radio and is very skilled at
handling the pileups. God bless her and Jim Voss... they have been very
active and have made many people very, very happy. I just worked Jim on
May 9th... and now will no longer try to call him. (Although I may make an
exception and try to QSO from my truck sometime.) I hope that others will
also try to follow this principle and exercise self-restraint after you have
made a good 2-way contact. Hmm, this kinda sounds like what Bob is
asking for with packet.  Maybe I don't disagree after all.  Well, yes I do... I
view packet differently.  Packet is a machine... its on-air time is not as
valuable as that of a person... an astronaut.  I would like for the astronaut's
on-air time to be spent making as many *NEW* people happy as is
possible. I would like for as many new people as possible to know that thrill
that many of us have now felt recently. There is plenty of APRS activity on
every packet pass that I have copied to enable a "shirt pocket" RECEPTION
demo for Bob's program. Transmitting successfully will remain more difficult,
but folks have shown that an Oscar-class setup is not required.  Ask those
5th graders in PA!!!  APRS proved itself very successful on the Mir, and it is
again proving its success on the ISS. I worked the Mir in '94 and '95 on
packet... and it was also always busy... very difficult to leave a message in
their PMS, which was required for a QSL.  I predict the ISS will remain busy
for all of its life as well.  At least I hope so, because I hope to see that
much enthusiasm for its entire life span.  And I hate the thought that this
might all become so commonplace that some lonely astronaut out there
might someday be calling CQ, and not have anyone interested enough to
answer.

I greatly apologize for this long message.  But while I'm here, I'd like to
thank Frank Bauer and ALL the people at NASA, AMSAT, ARRL, and
others for helping to provide this great pleasure to all of us.  I have never
been an AMSAT member before, but I will be joining up soon. I am a Life
Member of ARRL.

I hope to continue encouraging others to work the ISS. If this is a bad thing,
somebody better straighten me out quick. Of the 5 local hams that I know
of here who have seriously tried getting packet digipeats through the ISS, all
have been successful (plus one other I'm not sure about). I believe all of
them used 50-100 watts. One guy used a sound card packet setup. No
elevation rotors or else no beams used by any of them.

Very best regards to all,

Stan Vandiver, W4SV
Hanna, Indiana
http://stan.vandiver.com (where you can hear all of my voice contacts and
now see a few ISS pictures that I took as it flew by near my house)

(flame me if you must)