Re: ISS Igates

On Wed, 2 May 2001, Margaret Leber asked:

> > The http://www.ariss.net web page showing ISS downlink is dependent on
> > IGates monitoring 145.800 worldwide.  I have updated my ISS-APRS FAQ page
> > http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html...
> Has anyone been successful in gating an :EMAIL message and actually
> generating an email message? Perhaps I am not formatting mine correctly;
> they're showing up at ariss.net but no emails have been recieved.

Yes!  Here is  the Email I transmitted via ISS to Frank Bauer.  The
problem remains not enough permanent IGates on 145.800.  I notice several
passes where there is no active downlink feeding the APRS system.  It is
so easy to do.  Any winders machine with a TNC on the serial port and an
IP connection running any of ther winders APRS programs.  Here is what
Frank got:
I got it!
>Date: 28 Apr 2001 23:50:11 -0000
>From: alias@rci.rutgers.edu
>Subject: APRS Message from W3ADO-3
>To: frank.bauer@gsfc.nasa.gov
>- Hey Frank! Via ISS and APRS system{10}
>Message received by MacAPRS IGate station WU2Z
>Located in NO BRUNSWICK, NJ

What I sent was:

W3ADO>APRS,NOCALL*::EMAIL    :frank.bauer@gsfc.nasa.gov - Hey Frank!...

The only things required are:

1) It must be to one of the many generic TOCALLs of APRS, CQ, QST etc
2) It must begin with :EMAIL    :
3) The first word after the second colon must be an Email address
4) There must be an IGate on the ground that feeds it to APRS

de WB4APR, Bob