Re: Unproto/Chat Room tip for ISS

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, Stan Vandiver wrote about non-standard TOCALL's:

> ..[Is] it possible... to incorporate a "button"... to let APRS users
> into... "ISS mode" so  they could see all the activity on the channel?
> They... are losing  out by not being able to monitor all the traffic.

Yes, APRS software has this.  But the thousands of Kenwood HT's and
Mobiles do not.  So while doing a lunch-time shirt-pocket demo with the HT
or mobile, its frustrating to hear packets, and not be able to see who
they are on the radio display itself.  I just wanted people to know that.

Remember, two people with D7 HT's and rubber ducks can communicate via ISS
once the 6,000 w ERP base stations get finished.  Or you can use any HT
and a pocket TNC and a Palm Pilot running pocketAPRS.  SInce the link is
easy to do at 5 watts when the channel is clear, we hope this kind of
shirt-pocket demonstration becomes more practical later on...  A great
way to easily do a student demo without having to bring a truck load of
OSCAR class equipment and power amps to the school...

de WB4APR, Bob

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

ISS-APRS FAQ:       http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-faq.html
PCsat Design        http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/pcsat.html