Re: ISS Packet Question

Hi Matt, thanks for the good question.

The ISS TNC has three modes, Mail box, Keyboard and Chat Room.

1.  Mail box
The Mail box has not been configured, so it is currently DISABLED.
There has not been a call sign assigned to the Mail box nor memory
allocation.

2. Keyboard
The connection to the keyboard port is working under the default
call nocall.  However, the amateur radio station does not have
a dedicated PC.  The PC is only plugged into the ISS TNC once a month or
so.
Without a PC, you can not see what is going to the TNC's Keyboard port.
So this too is a Dead port.  The reason you saw the word '***NOCALL
BUSY''
was because someone was connected to a dead port keyboard port and a
second station
tried to connect to the same dead keyboard port.  It is suggested that
people do not
try to connect to the dead keyboard port, there is no-body home.

3. Unproto Chat Room.
The chat room mode is the only mode that is in operation this month.
See the www.marex-na.org page for operating instructions.

I talked to Moscow Mission control this week and tried to get an
idea of when the crew would have time to configure the TNC and enable
other modes.  I was told we would review the schedules  and choose
a call sign for the TNC during the next ARISS meeting on May 4th.

Miles WF1F MAREX