ISS Ops

All,

The ARISS team were informed that the crew would probably leave the ISS
amateur radio gear turned on during docking ops.  The operations you have
seen the past few days have confirmed this.

Several people have asked when the crew will be operating.  The ARISS team
cannot predict this.  The best way to understand the Expedition 2 schedule
is to follow the operations on this reflector.  In the US, it appears that
for now, 1700-2100 UTC appear to be good times.  It is also not clear as to
why the packet system is enabled or disabled from one pass to the next.  We
are fairly sure that the several day shutdown of the packet system was due
to an overflow issue that was cleared after we asked the crew to cycle the
packet system power.

Those that are still unclear on how to work the ISS amateur radio system
are encouraged to carefully review the ARISS web page located at:

http://ariss.gsfc.nasa.gov/

No guarantees, but don't be surprised if you hear one of the Shuttle Crew
members on the rig in the next few days.  FYI, Chris Hadfield from Canada
is a ham and he used the SAREX gear on the Space Shuttle during his last
flight.

International QSLs:  Right now, we just have QSL distribution in the US and
Canada.  SASEs or IRCs with a self addressed envelope is
required.  Eventually, we expect to expand QSL distribution to several of
our other international partners.  The ARISS team will be discussing this
at our next meeting which will be held the first week of May at ESA ESTEC
in the Netherlands.  QSLs are not ready yet.  We expect to finalize the
design at the upcoming ARISS meeting.

Enjoy ISS ops!

73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO